STOEGER cougars

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by akers06, Apr 23, 2012.

1. akers06

akers06 New Member

Does anybody know anything about these pistols

2. Viking

Viking Active Member

I have a Stoeger Cougar 40, most accurate centerfire pistol I've ever owned. Due to rotary lock up the barrel has very little rise which makes for great follow up shots. Once I tried point shooting at 7 yards and all rounds hit within a 6" circle. I'd buy another in a flat second. Great quality for a decent price.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

That's good to know I have a STOEGER m3500 shotgun and I really like it so I was interested in some other STOEGER items and I really pike these pistols....I think I'm going to go put a 40 cal in layaway..

4. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I can only say I've read two reviews, years apart from G & A. The first, was exactly like the above from Viking. The second review said good things but got absolutely std accuracy and didn't see any real benefits to the rotary action. (over other action types)

Either way, it's a good service grade pistol. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

Thanks guys...for the money I think it is a good deal

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

they look kinda sexy. thats as far as my expriences go. lol

7. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have a Stoeger 8040 Cougar, .40 S&W. It is GREAT! I have a couple dozen guns, but will always carry the Cougar whenever I can wear clothes that will conceal it. It has 11+1 capacity, shoots straight, and has been utterly dependable. I've had it 3 years, now, shot it a lot, no trouble. The rotating barrel lockup does indeed make for great accuracy, and it is easy to clean. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 9.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. akers06

akers06 New Member

I found a cougar 9mm used but looks brand new for $355 out the door what do u guys think

9. Viking

Viking Active Member

Check it out ask if the dealer will break the pistol down like would be done for cleaning so you can see the wear surfaces and get a good look at the bore. These pistols are tough and should handle thousands of rounds through them and still be pretty tight. If the cougar looks like it hasn't had a huge amount of rounds through it then that's a good price.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Ok man thanks for the advise on kinda new to the whole handgun thing ive shot shotguns and rifles for around 15 years but I'm just now getting into pistols

11. Seven

Seven New Member

Just some extra FYI, the Stoeger can use most all aftermarket parts as the Beretta Cougar. Holsters, grip panels, magazines, etc.
    Here's a pic of mine with a FIST holster, grip panels, and panel screws all for a Beretta.

[​IMG]

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

Thanks for the info man.....

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I thought I'd read that the Stoegers were built in Turkey on tooling purchased from Berreta?

The article was several years ago and sounded like a great deal. Basically getting Berreta quality for several hundred less because of the production location.

I can't imaging why Berreta would provide their tooling to a competitor? Or are they associated somehow? Like a Berreta budget line?

Tack

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

Basically stoeger is beretta and benelli's budget guns. Benelli bought stoeger in 2000 to basically make a working man's gun and they have finally got all the quarks worked out and they are making some really good shotguns and from what I've read some really good pistols for a great price. There semi auto shotguns are based off the benelli inertia action their pumps are almost identical to the benelli nova pump and their pistol are just like the berettas....they also make a really good SxS and O/U shotguns too....STOEGER has come long way in the gun market

15. Viking

Viking Active Member

That's a great looking holster. Do you have a pic of the other side? If you don't mind answering how much did the holster cost and source?

16. Seven

Seven New Member

Fist #12 Basic <link. But it was somewhat cheaper back when I bought it.

[​IMG]

17. Viking

Viking Active Member

Thanks. I like the strength FIST has given the holster around the belt slots, that seems to be a weak area in many other holsters.

18. akers06

akers06 New Member

My new cougar 8000 I traded a 870 I had bout $350 in for it I love it already

ForumRunner_20120501_191542.jpg

19. Seven

Seven New Member

Good trade, bro. You definitely didn't get hurt.
    Post your thoughts after you shoot that Cougar.