Stoeger Cougar or Baikal ? help plz!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Siraj, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Siraj

Siraj New Member

Your opinion plzz!
    I'm going to purchase a new handgun for me but i'm little bit confused which 1 is good. So i have a two options.
    1st-Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm. ?
    2nd-Baikal MP446 Viking 9mm (Russia) ?
    Help me :)

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My first impression would be go with the Stoeger. And only the first impression because it's owned by Benelli. The Bailkal could be just as good if not a better gun. I'd put my hands on both before deciding.

What do you like about each, and what don't you like?

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If I had to choose between those 2, I'd jump on the Stoeger Cougar. I shot a .45 version and really liked it. It has a unique lockup in that the barrel rotates instead of tilting. The 1 I shot was extremely accurate.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'd like to see what's behind door number three...how in the world did you arrive at these two options? Is it due to your location...Europe/Asia maybe?

For all I know both are outstanding guns. The Stoeger has a generally good reputation. Sounds like the Baikal is essentially a Russian military service pistol, so I'd imagine it's a reasonably simple, durable, reliable gun.

Buy what you like. Whatever feels best. Hopefully you have a number of options available to you.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What's the gun for? Are you going to carry? What's your budget?

Hard to provide any reasonable info when you haven't given us anything to go on...

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I've been wondering, what is the deal with a rotating barrel anyway? What is it's purpose?

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Another way to keep the slide and barrel together while pressure in the barrel reduces to a safe level. With the rotating barrel, there is no "tip-up" of the barrel like that of most handguns, and supposedly, better accuracy.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Hello Siraj and welcome to FTF. please stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

My first response is I believe there are better options out there. Given just the two I would go with the stoeger because I have never heard of the other.

9. Siraj

Siraj New Member

@Scotta stoeger is a nice handgun with black finishing,famous company,great accuracy but the thing i dont like about stoeger is turkey made. @sweeper22 ya! u r right, i belongs from Asia so the prices of hundguns are very high as compair to USA. @NIGB my budget is like 400us $:confused:

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had the Beretta Cougar 8045 and it was a great pistol. The Stoeger is the same pistol, except it's now manufactured by Stoeger in Turkey. Beretta owns both Benelli and Stoeger.

11. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

If I had only those 2 to choose from I'd pick the Cougar or it's brother the Beretta PX4.

Not to confuse things, but I'd suggest you also look at a Sig Sauer Pro 2022.

[​IMG]

The Sig is $475 around here and even cheaper on line.

It is a very good gun.

Sig reliably and Sig trigger - smooth as butter :cool::cool:

12. propex

propex New Member

I also only own the Bretta Stoeger in 45 but I do enjoy it. It is large for my hands and rather weighty. Tend to get most of its service as a nightstand gun due to weight and a larger clip than my standard 1911 45 :)

13. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I love the Baikal, it feels great in my hand, it's sturdy and well made, I wanted one, they were cheap when you could find them in Venezuela, it's a shame that their accessories, parts are non existent in Venezuela, that's why I chose the Bersa instead. The Cougar its a great gun, I shot the .40 version and loved it... I would like one too. I would stick to the Cougar because has the back up of Beretta, I don't know were you are but you always will find support, spare mags, parts and accessories for the Cougar... not so sure about the same with the Baikal Viking.