Stocking Ammo

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by cameronguyton, Aug 29, 2009.

1. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

I have been pondering the idea of starting to buy ammo in calibers that I don't have a firearm for. My thinking is that when the SHTF, if needed I could possibly trade it off. While this makes sense, it also means that I could be spending the resources (money, storage space, etc) on ammo that I can use.

I guess I am just looking for opinions of others to whether this would be a good idea or to pass on it.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Personally, I just stock for the firearms that I own. However, I also stock food, propane, first aid items, batteries, water purification, etc. That will likely be just as useful for trade goods if not more so.

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Like CA said, ammo isn't everything. Water and food come first. Ammo is second, and ammo that doesn't fit anything I own is just a waste of money that could have been used to buy more ammo, food, water and other ncesessities. Bartering is the last phase of survival for me.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

And there ya go! ;)

Jack

5. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

Kind of what I've been thinking with the ammo. I've been slowly working on a food supply, water purification, and other essentials. Just thought I would get another opinion. Thanks.

6. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

By trading ammo when SHTF, that same ammo you gave away could be heading towards you at high velocities.

S.S.

7. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'm currently stocking up on ammo for my pistols and 7.62x39 for the AK that i have on layaway.

8. CA357

This may sound goofy, but don't forget to stock up on toilet paper. ;)

9. OC357

OC357 New Member

Not goofy but it would be SHTF paper then.

OC

10. CA357

I think the more mundane an item, the more easily it's overlooked. ;)

...and don't forget to stock up for your pets as well.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My thought is to only consider trading bird shot (#6 or smaller) and .22 LR. Legit for foraging but less likely to be used against you.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The problem I would have with bartering ammo, guns, or other weapons in a SHTF scenario is that you have now revealed that you are in possession of valuable guns, ammo, or weapons...just something else to worry about. I have seen trolls on other Forums state that in a SHTF scenario they would acquire life's necessities by robbing others. While this will always be a concern, I prefer not to escalate this possibility.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  13. CA357

Good point RL. I've read some of those posts. I'd like to think that it's just internet badass talk.

Of course if it's true, those tough guys have to get past me first to do any looting. I expect a Garand or a 12 gauge to cause a reevaluation of the situation.

My firearms and ammunition will either stay with me or possibly be used by trusted friends. Food and other supplies may or may not be be shared at my discretion.

14. OC357

OC357 New Member

As far as bartering ammo (or anything elce for that matter) I really do not have enough supplies and ammo for an extended long term real SHTF scenario.. I would have too much to carry to run and I am too old and have a bad hip so I will have to stay put. So anyone wanting my ammo will have to collect it from the muzzle. But I hope it never happens.

OC

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - When I finally got fed-up with the squirrels raiding the bird feeder, I dispatched one and left him IN the feeder for several days to discourage that behavior....might do the same when the SHTF...

16. CA357

That would probably do the job. :D

17. aliendroid

aliendroid New Member

If you already have enough ammo for your guns, I'd buy toilet paper and lots of spirits, because those are going to be high value if the SHTF for a long time. Get something that ages really nice ;). In fact you probably could trade a bottle of Scotch for a lot of ammo after alcohol becomes hard to find.

18. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Back in my youth I read a lot of Science Fiction. I remember one story (I think it was a Robert Heinlen novel) where .22 rounds had become the de-facto currency for bartering after a SHTF scenario. I keep a few thousand rounds of .22LR handy just in case.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

(Ahem) For those that have already heard me expound on this- go away, get a beer or something- I'll be done in a minute-

Yes, everything from ammo to propane to batteries is good- but what about when the last cartridge is used, the last battery dead?

Want to stockpile something? Stockpile knowledge.

What BOOKS do you have? Yeah- ink on paper. Requires no external power source beyond a candle, and immune to computer viruses and EMP.

Know how to tan a hide? Splint a broken arm? Make beer? Make methane gas (not with beans, beer, and onions, but as a fuel gas?) When the last D cell battery is gone- could you make a basic wind generator? Raise vegetables? Preserve them? Smoke meat?

This does not have to be all that expensive- check your local used book store, back issues of Mother Earth News, etc. My SHTF library is 3 bookcases.

Me? I plan to be the Old Man of the Hills that all the young folks want to have living in THEIR bunker! :D

OK, will put the soapbox away- y'all can come out of hiding now...

20. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

I have streamlined my gun collection so I primarily have two calibers to worry about, 5.56mm and .308Winchester. I have stockpiles of those two calibers and the supply to make many more.
    Of course I still have the .22's, a .300 Win Mag, a .375H&HMag., etc but the primary fighting guns are 5.56mm and .308.
    If you are going to stockpile, stockpile what YOU need. If your family and you are taken care of, everything else can just happen. In a SHTF situation for me it would be a matter of just keeping my family taken care of and safe.