Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several boltaction rifles and one shotgun that all have one thing in common.
They are all held in the stock by a single screw in front the triggerguard.
Is there any pointers on what to do to fix a three the older ones that have movement when the screw is tite?

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
I have several boltaction rifles and one shotgun that all have one thing in common.
They are all held in the stock by a single screw in front the triggerguard.
Is there any pointers on what to do to fix a three the older ones that have movement when the screw is tite?
Rex, could you post some more info concerning these guns? If the bolt guns are .22 caliber, you can stop any for & aft movement with a hardening bedding compound. I prefer "steel bed". And the shotgun has only one action screw, so that's also a bolt action?

·
Supporting Member
11,790 Posts
Rex

What Brand and Models are they?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stevens model 73Y .22
Springfield J Stevens model 84c .22
Marlin Glenfield model 110 .22
2ea keystone arms crickett rifles .22
Stevens 258b 20 ga

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My wedge that holds be barrel down on my flintlock. Was loose. It would fall out if your not careful. What i did to tighten it. I put a index card cut to width. Under my barrel on the front of the fore stock. Maybe it would help you Rex.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Rex, could you post some more info concerning these guns? If the bolt guns are .22 caliber, you can stop any for & aft movement with a hardening bedding compound. I prefer "steel bed". And the shotgun has only one action screw, so that's also a bolt action?
Have you tried JB Weld SteelStick? Super easy to work with.

·
Banned
4,353 Posts
Stevens model 73Y .22
Springfield J Stevens model 84c .22
Marlin Glenfield model 110 .22
2ea keystone arms crickett rifles .22
Stevens 258b 20 ga
Something you might consider. If you install a shim, only for the action screw, think about what the rear of the action fit, will then be like. If you bed the action so if fits perfectly into the stock for the actions length, you will then only need one screw to pull the action down and into place tightly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quick fix on the .22s would be to shorten the stock screw just enough to make it tighten on the wood. If it were mine, I'd make a new shorter screw to avoid altering the original.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Something you might consider. If you install a shim, only for the action screw, think about what the rear of the action fit, will then be like. If you bed the action so if fits perfectly into the stock for the actions length, you will then only need one screw to pull the action down and into place tightly.
Bingo!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
BTW if you need an action tightened to a stock in a .22 in a big hurry just cut some aluminum foil into 1” strips and fold over as many times as you need for the desired thickness and place it between the action and the stock. I would do it in two places in front of the screw and behind the trigger. But you can get creative. Tighten down and you're done. This temporary fix will last several lifetimes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Really think this is being "over thunk." The problem is that either because of wood shrinkage or over tightening and compression, the bolt is bottoming before the wood comes tight. Shortening the threaded end (if there are enough threads) will restore the clamping action and preserve the original bedding

Even easier, though unsightly, a washer under the head of the screw would work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts