Stock refinish with B/C Tru Oil

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by TINCANBANDIT, Jan 2, 2014.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

This is a JC Higgins 16 Gauge Bolt Action Shotgun that I bought awhile back for cheap, the stock has some ugly varnish on it, but underneath lurks some beautiful walnut![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

I used a bio-safe stripper that contains citric acid, smells like oranges and is safe to breath & get on your skin, works good at getting the old varnish off[​IMG]

I then carded the wood with a piece of plastic and cleaned it with some bio-safe paint thinner (look at me being all environmental-like...)[​IMG]
    after it was cleaned you could see all the grain in the nice walnut, no stain needed here, just a coating of tru-oil[​IMG]

and a close up
    [​IMG]
    The next step is sanding, I used 220 grit which is strong enough to remove the last vestiges of varnish and remove and small scratches, when sanding wood stocks remember two things: 1. always sand with the grain and 2. leave the butt pad in place.
    I then wiped down the wood with paint thinner again and let it dry

[​IMG]
    I then added my first coat of Birchwood-Casey's Tru-Oil
    [​IMG]

Add the Tru-Oil with your fingers, let the wood soak it up, then use a paper towel to remove the excess and let dry for 24hrs, Tru-Oil contains linseed oil, so dispose of the paper towels properly (they can spontaneously catch fire)
    [​IMG]

on the last go around with hot bluing I polished and reblued the trigger guard, I didn't want to put an ugly scratched trigger guard on the nicely refinished stock
    [​IMG]

3. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

double post

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

Here is the gun finished, I put 3 coats (included the wet sanded one) of Tru-Oil, after the last coat I polished the surface with 0000 Steel Wool to remove some of the shiny-ness
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is a before and after comparison
    [​IMG]

see the whole write up here at my Blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2013/06/stock-refinish.html

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

wow! looks great and nicely done. it did have some nice wood under that varnish.

6. JoshSelf

JoshSelf New Member

I'm about to do this with the exact same gun. Got it from a garage sale for $70. I'm gonna try to make it look all nice again

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Very nice job, bandit! At one time they used surprisingly nice wood on some inexpensive guns. I have some older Mossberg 22s that have a wood grain like a tiger's eye ring.

8. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

be sure to post some pictures!

9. JoshSelf

JoshSelf New Member

Just to add mine here too. Bottom is before, top is after. I love it and it was my first time refinishing a stock. I started doing my H&R Topper model 16 gauge as well since I have 3 Toppers in different sizes.

Attached Files:

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

that they did. i have a couple of their old shotguns from the 40s and 50s that have nicer wood than most of my newer long guns.

Looks good TCB.