STOCK HELP! Stalkingbear this is for you!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SoL, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SoL

SoL New Member

heyhey

I would like to make myself a new thumbhole stock for my JW15
    I've done the blueprints and all that and I'm ready to rock, I just need to know some good options for wood.

I mean cost to weight ratio, strength to weight etc etc

I was hoping to get something that would take a very dark green stain well but still have the grain be modestly visible.

What say you sir?

2. SoL

SoL New Member

come on lads
    wheres the love?

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

While walnut is universally accepted as the premier stock wood (and my choice), birch makes for a tough stock and is very reasonably priced. Birch would also accept stain better as it's a very light colored wood. Naturally laminated would be best IF you can get a blank made of laminated wood. There's a few places you might check to obtain a laminated stock blank. Richards Microfit Gunstocks is 1 of them.

The Norinco JW-15 is a simple inlet job but I'd recommend you glass bed it after you get done for a skin tight fit..

4. SoL

SoL New Member

you betcha my man,
    These 'blank' stock things sound intriguing, but I really do want to build it myself, it's kinda the point, I want a project.

Birch is acceptable in price here, and looks perfect for taking the stain.

I'm using a great stepbystep guide that is on here, and I'm going to give it the brushed satin finish after the staining.

I actually bedded the action in the original stock with leather, it moulds to shape very well and is tough. I'm sure a glass bed would be BETTER but for what it was worth, esp at the time, it improved things heavily. Barell was/will be floated also (fwd of the front screw).

Love the 'rincos here in NZ, they are cheap as chips.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There is a big thread over at Rim Fire Central about a guy who used poplar for a rimfire stock.

You could create your own laminate but you would need a planer and the knowledge to use it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. SoL

SoL New Member

could someone describe the definition of 'laminate' in this context?

I was planning to do several layers of polyurethane on top of the stain and then sand it back very lightly to the satin finish, as I have done on other wood things.

Is this not effective?

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Several thin pieces of different types of wood laminated together. They make great looking stocks if you are so inclined to go that route. You can use most any type of wood and use colors also. A laminated stock is very strong and resists warping..

Jim...........

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

9. SoL

SoL New Member

ahh i see :)

nah im happier with the one type of wood.
    I'll get some photos up as i hit milestones

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Since you're going to stain it green, the birch would be your best bet. Remember to go ssllooww when shaping it-you can always take more off but can't put it back. A stock blank is simply a slab of wood. When rough shaping, a belt sander and rough rasp will be your friend. When final shaping/sanding use progressively finer sandpaper.

11. SoL

SoL New Member

you bet, my man.

I might actually post some pictures of my design sketches and blueprints.
    I'm fairly sure it's physically viable but would appreciate input if anyone can see any potential problems.

12. SoL

SoL New Member

i've attached a paintshop recreation of my design.

I did it with a grid so its accurate to my 1:1 scale blueprint.

I wanted to keep it very simple with a lot of flat faces and right angles, short of the grip and cheek pad.

most of the shooting that rifle does is supported, by a car door or a fence post usually so I thought it prudent to have a large flat undersurface to rest on, I will have rubber stripping protecting the majority of the frontend underside from dings, but i'm sure it will be a good thing in all.

I also made the stock quite a bit longer than the original, I prefer it this way is all, personal opinion.

That pistol grip is modelled on a hogue ar 15 one, so its finger grooves should be quite nice.

Any obvious flaws ive overlooked?

Attached Files:

13. SoL

SoL New Member

what in the living land of cockskull is this?

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Troll, spammer or just a whack job. Sometimes they get through. He'll be gone soon. ;)

15. SoL

SoL New Member

hehhehheh, fun.