Stippling???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by glockcj, Mar 15, 2013.

1. glockcj

glockcj New Member

Does anybody know about it and does it work? Watched DIY on YouTube and don't want to scrap a $600 glock. Any help would be great!! Thank you fellow gun nuts.

2. BWilder

BWilder New Member

i just use a soudering iron. practice on a junk peice of plastic and make sure not to hold it on there to long or else the holes will be to big.

3. glockcj

glockcj New Member

Do you any pics?

4. BWilder

BWilder New Member

no i dont. first time i did it it was a **** job. but after you practice its real easy

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Wait till others chime in -- I've seen some that is home-done and really quite amazing.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

A guy recently posted a heap of pictures on stippling everything he owned from guns to video game controllers. Search for plastic stippling I may have gone crazy. His name is swervin.

7. j4454

j4454 New Member

I've stippled my own weapons before. I'm not very artistic so it's not exactly pretty but it works. Just takes a steady hand and a sod iron. I practiced on a magpul grip and pmag before I did a handgun...that was before pmags were worth $100 bucks lol

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Get some sticky tape that skateboarders use. Stippling your own gun is surefire way to turn a $500 gun into a $50 gun. Lots of gun shops and online vendors sell sticky tape kits. Lots of IDPA shooters use the sticky tape kits.

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Or just but one of those Pachmyer(sp?) rubber pistol grip sleeves. I bought two for my pocket rockets, I think the small ones were $8.95, might run you $20 for a full size sleeve. Beats hell outta doin' $100 - $200 worth of damage to yer piece.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have done a few things and they always turn out great, however some of them were so rough that if you didnt wear gloves it literally shredded your skin . so on those items I have taken a small piece of emery cloth and taken some of the edges back down it almost gives it a rubbery feel . Its not hard to do but very time consuming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

That's what I'm talkin' about. Some of you guys are really talented.

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Some of swervin's work. Those ghost flames are a work of art.

Attached Files:

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I would recommend getting some of teh skateboard grip tape,and see how you like teh added traction. You can also play with the tape and try figuring out where you want texture and where you want to leave things smooth. Then get a standard AR pistol grip and practice your stippling on it witha soldering iron or and iron from a wood burning kit. The wood burning kits offer many different tips that can help in gettng the texture that you like.

Once you figure out what texture you want, and where you want it, and you have practiced a bit on something cheap, then you can get your Glock out and go to town. I kind of outlined boundaries with the first pass, and then would fill in the areas of the grip.

[​IMG]

14. COLMayhem

COLMayhem New Member

I stipple M&P grips, mag releases, frame tools, basepads, and the striker plate. I wanted to stipple things I could replace...rather than frames. This way - if I wanted to sell the guns, I could put factory items back on.

I tried 10 different patterns on extra parts before I settled into what I liked. I use a wood-burning tool and a couple different tips which come with the tool. If you do try this, make sure you have adequate ventilation and wear a ventilator. I wore a surgical mask for the first year...that was the wrong answer.

Here are a couple of my products. Remember, every frame, every part will stipple differently. I cannot stipple PMAGs - they look like crap after I try. The plastic is much harder than the softer parts of a M&P. Just my experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's some cool stippling. I've never seen anyone do it like that. Very stylish.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

OK I'm feeling left out.
    Here's mine.

Attached Files:

18. num1dude13

num1dude13 New Member

this was my first attempt on a firearm with minimal initial practice. It's not to difficult to do....just take your time

image-3518812897.jpg

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

havent stippled a gun yet but I've done the grip on a machete and some tapco AK mags.

heres a pic of part of a mag I'm working on now.

Attached Files:

20. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

image-93748841.jpg

image-3547007413.jpg

image-945838972.jpg no slip on this grip!!!