Still not clicking... DA and Double Strike.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by theferg2000, Nov 21, 2010.

1. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

I have been reading around about guns that have a double strike capability. But i still have not found anything that tells the exact difference between a gun that is Double action vs. having a double strike capability (at least on a level that i could understand). Can someone enlighten me as to how a gun is double action but is not a double striker? Anyone have any diagrams that show the build difference?

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Some guns use a traditional double action trigger mechanism, Sigs, Beretta M9, S&W 39/59/69 series, etc.

Other pistols use a DA trigger system that requires the slide to cycle before the trigger will reset, Glocks, XD's, etc. These are commonly called "safe action", but are double action triggers by definition. DA being "pulling the trigger both cocks and fires" the gun.

So when you end up with a bad round in the chamber, with a Sig or Beretta and the like you can stand there clicking the DA trigger over and over again hoping it may eventually go off. But bad ammo can be fickle and this creates bad habits and takes valuable time.

With one of the "safe action" type pistols, when you find that bad round in the chamber you perform a failure drill (smack, rack, re-engage), get rid of the bad round and keep shooting.

"Second strike" capability is the answer to a question that was best never asked.

3. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

Got it. So i guess i did understand it more than i thought. Been researching my wife's gun (S&W Bodyguard .380) and someone mentioned it was a double striker). I had always been under the school of thought that if a round fails, get it out. Seems to me, the constant "clicking" or telling the bad guy "hey i am trying to kill you" is NOT that great of a feature - or plan! ;) Guess we will keep practicing the normal fail techniques.

Anyone think it is a good idea to keep trying to set off a failed round? I read several arguments saying this was a good feature. Even said that 80% of the time a failed round would fire on the second strike (which i definitely want a better rate of fire, but that was a lot higher than i would have thought - could almost warrant two clicks then clear).

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

At the range, the ability to double strike is ok. There are some brands of primers that are referred to as hard primers, that can sometimes take a second strike to activate.

In self defense, Tap, rack.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a H&K PSP P7. It has the Double Strike capability, but is a Single action (trigger releases the firing pin only). The grip is a squeeze cocker, and to reset the firing pin for a double strike, I have to work the squeeze cocker.

Would I work the double strike in self defense? No. As "willfully armed" said "Tap, Rack".

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

on the range, yes.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The ParaOrdnance LDA family requires the slide to be racked to reset the hammer. Simply pulling trigger second time does nada. Slap, rack and roll, continue to march.

OR- use a double action revolver. Pulling trigger second time lines up fresh cartridge- which MAY be a better option, and account for the popularity of these weapons for more than 100 years.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Taurus likes to really hype the double strike capability of their poly guns - a nice feature to have given their propensity for light strikes...

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, if my firearm has light primer strikes, then something is wrong...

10. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have tried dozens of times to "re-strike" a round that misfired, with various M9's. If it failed the first time it nearly always failed no matter how many times you tried. Most of the time, the round could be ejected and reloaded into the chamber in a different position and it would fire.

As far as self defense goes, if your expecting a bang and get a click, immediate action drill, no matter if you have a double action or not. I wouldn't buy a striker fired gun that had some magical second strike capability based on that feature alone.

11. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

I dont know where they got the 80% figure, in the past i dont think i have ever gotten a bad round to go off even with multiple attempts. We didn't buy the gun based on that feature, just saw it after i had bought it, and was reading a little more about it. She used to carry a .22 so this gun fits her very well - just glad i got her up to a .380. Next mission... the 40. Guess i will have to start looking at which .40's they have in pink!

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

380 with Buffalo Bore 100 gr is more than adequate. Why move her up?

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Gotta agree...that split second hesitation could cost you your life. Tap, Rack and Roll should be your first and only instinctive response to a FTF...

14. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

You think so? I felt that way for a while, but seems like popular opinion pushes for a .40, so that is what i set as a goal for her. But i would love to stop here. Just want to make sure she has what she needs. My kids, and my wife are the most important things here on earth to me in my life. I worry too much about them.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Irregardless of arguements for or against second strike...A company must try to stand out in the crowd of gun makers. The choices we have now are very broad. Taurus needs to stand out from Ruger, Glock, Sig, S&W, Beretta, and on and on, They cannot hope to survive by saying "our guns are just like Glock and Ruger, only ours are made iin Brazil and cost less" Not much of a marketing plan there.