Still doing my home work, for my first .22.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by NymphoGnome, Feb 23, 2010.

1. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I had my mind set on the Marlin 795, for the price. But I have been reading around and seeing that they tend to jam. One story was a about a guy that bought two of them and One jammed and the other didn't.... that worries me.

I am assuming that the reason for it jamming is the type of ammo?!?! Are there any other factors that could cause the rifle to jam? I know all rifles will eventually jam at some point in time, but hell I don't even know what to do when it does.

But anyways I am still looking around and out of the Marlin 795, Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, and Savage 64. The only one I have gotten to actually hold is the Ruger, and it was down right sexy. The price has me holding back, because once you add ammo, targets, a scope and possibly the back ground check fee, $250 becomes $300+.

Also I can't seem to find a Ruger that still boxed, But I can go up to Academy and get the Marlin brand new in box. So this is where I am stuck.

2. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

Im no expert but have talked to a few people about this and im sure someone will explain this further if it is true. One reason for jams is because of cheap ammo or using ammo your rifle does not like. Another reason i have heard is because the bolt sometimes does not have enough umphh to throw out the casing. This is because the .22 is such a light load and the kick from the round is what throws the bolt back. Someone please correct me if im wrong because i am not 100% sure

3. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

also i forgot to mention, i am in the same situation as you looking for a good cheap priced .22 rifle semi auto that will last me a while. Of corse every one and their brother has a 10/22 but the modle 60 looks nice too and is significantly cheaper where i live. Ive also considered the 795 Marlin but i am weary if it will not last me a while

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Check out the Remington 597. It's cheap, accurate, and reliable!

Bottom one

[​IMG]

5. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Is it loud? That's another thing about the Marlin 795, it sounds like a B.B. gun.

6. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

I would advise against a Savage 64. I got one about a year back and I'm just not very fond of it. Wouldn't say its junk but there are clearly better .22's out there. Jam's more then it should and the fit and finish is just not up to par. Ok for plinking but I wouldn't do that one over. :confused:

That said, I'm very happy with my Savage Mark II. But that's a bolt gun.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Funny- my bolt guns and lever guns don't jam! :D

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Here's my Marlin 60 I got back in 1967.

I think it was $39.

Does that last long enough for ya? [​IMG]

9. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

ruger 10/22 very accurate and reliable not to bad on the wallet either.

10. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

I like that, Still as accurate as the day you got it too isnt it

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Any un-suppressed 22 will sound identical. Of course semi-auto's will be slightly louder due to action opening at the time of bang. Its all about the ammo and the setting.

ZING!

12. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I wouldn't mind a bolt rifle, it would make me feel like a sniper :eek:.

13. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Just got back from a place here called Allen Arms, they have the Ruger 10/22 for $223 I am sold, I got a little bit more time with it, and I think I will be happy in the long run.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You bet and with a .22lr you can shoot all day on the cheap!

And regardless of the caliber, time spent putting led on target makes you a better marksman.

15. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

You will be a lot more happier with the Ruger, I'd say. So many options to choose from. And very reliable. Although you will have to see what brand of rounds it likes the best. I still have mine from 1975 and have never had to replace anything as far as parts and guesstimate over 10,000 rounds through it..

16. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

So when you say "rounds it likes" does that mean each gun has a different "taste" even though they're made by the same company?

17. keepitlow

keepitlow New Member

I had a stock 10-22 and it shot poor groups. Bought expensive Kimbers and Coopers. They shoot outstanding, but you don't want to shoot them since they cost thousands. they are only good to look at.

I settled for a Savage Mark II in SS with syn stock. Nice cheap gun, shoots well, rust proof and don't care about putting a scratch on it any more than I would worry about a scratch on my circular saw.

18. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

Sorry. Bolts and levers CAN jam. Maybe not as often as semi-auto's but they do. And when they do they're usually harder to clear in my experience.

Any number of things can cause a 22 semi to jam. It doesn't mean they're a pice of junk if they do. It could be simply that the ammo you're shooting is lower powered for one reason or another. The next box of the same stuff might shoot just fine. The ammo might have just a very slight variation in the size of the cases. Again the next box might be fine. 22 ammo is cheap, they make thousands and thousands of rounds at a time and they can't check it all. Some brands are better than others, and some brands work better in one rifle than they do in another. So ammo is a variable.

The rifle could be dirty. Or it could need to be lubed. Or it could even be overlubed which leads to dirty. Generally speaking keep it lightly lubed, and clean and it will run better.

The rifle (or handgun actually) might need to be "broken in." Again, most 22's are inexpensive. That means they don't get a lot of hand finishing. Shooting them is the best way to have the parts rub together and "wear in" so they fit together just right. So don't give up on a new gun.

Oh, and a new gun usually needs to be cleaned before you shoot it to get the packing/storage grease/oil/crud out.

19. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

Thank you all, I have decided on the Ruger 10/22. I found it at wal-mart for $197, going to go pick it up tomorrow.

20. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Homework

After ya do your homework, buy the Marlin Model 60, U will be pleased!:D