Sticky mag?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BeyondTheBox, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Okay, not really "sticky" mags, but a gun that doesn't spit a mag out all the way anymore. I've lubed the bajezus out of it and bought new mag, but still hangs up in the well.

So I did a test to see if it does what the other guns with functioning mag releases do. I turn them upside down and push release button. The mag jumps out about half to 3/4 an inch. Does on all guns, but this one has so much friction coming the rest of the way.

Another test, hold button down. It eases the tension/friction, but still must be pulled out by hand. I could understand this of mag was empty, had guns do this before, but never when loaded...

Ideas, hints, tips, tricks, etc?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Does it have grip screws? If I tighten my screws down to much on my 1911 my mags bind.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you are talking about a 1911, kytowboater could be correct.
    Go to the hardware store and buy small O-rings for the grip screws and use them like washers.

But I have seen where different manufacturers mags are a little larger and will not eject. I had the same problem with a batch of mags. After buying some from another maker, everything worked.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That's a great suggestion fellers, I'll try the o-ring first. My mags are from different decades of gun production and one blued other SS. Still, could try magtec. Thanks!

5. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

I had the same problem with an inexpensive mag. It turned out that the lips of the mag had spread just enough to cause drag and FTE. I used a pair of pliers to gently squeeze them back together and it worked for about a dozen reloads. I threw it away after that.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

That's another good thought! Thanks J!