Sticky Bolt Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SubSniper91395, Aug 12, 2012.

1. SubSniper91395

SubSniper91395 New Member

Just got back from the range with my Mosin Nagant, I had an amazing time and it's super accurate, 2 MOA at 100 yards compared to my last Mosin that bested at 5 MOA. However, I did encounter a major problem, my bolt jammed EVERYTIME. After 6 rounds it jammed up so bad that I had to set it on the table and use my shoe to bang it open. I know that these guns are known for the "sticky bolt syndrome" but this can't be untreatable. I will say that it was 104 degrees and that dusty outside, and i was firing mil-surp, but if there is any way to at least treat the sticky bolt syndrome Id be very grateful to know about it, cures are even better. Thank you.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

scrub the chamber very well...

3. SubSniper91395

Anything specific I should use? I used Hoppes solvent when I cleaned it, then oiled it with Remington Rem oil.

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

For my part I do the exact same cleaning you just described... my bolts are tough on both rifles but I usually just smack em around a bit...

5. SubSniper91395

Alright, then I will continue. Thank you

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sticky bolt is the bane of M-N shooters. Two things- First. strip down the bolt. CLEAN the innards. Damned cosmoline gets into everything.

While you have the bolt out of the gun, CHEAN the chamber and locking lug area. I use a drill, length of cleaning rod, 20 g shotgun brush. Use some Hoppes, spin the brush for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving. Wipe chamber GOOD with clean patch. Use clean patch on tip of little finger, get the locking lug grooves.

Use a 20 g bore mop, and put a dab of JB Boreshine on it. Buff with the drill for about 30 seconds, keeping it moving in and out. Then clean the chamber and bore to remove any JB.

You need to operate bolt briskly, not gently- but the above should cure most of the problem.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Use mineral spirits along with the brush that c3shooter recommended. Some gun solvents have a hard time breaking down the bees wax that is one of the components in the Russian cosmoline.

Otherwise keep smacking the bolt "like a Russian mail order bride" until it loosens up.

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

From experience I think I can tell you exactly why the bolt is sticking. The problem is most likely caused by the ammo you are using, not the gun. I have the feeling you have been shooting the steel cased surplus ammo that is coated with lacquer. When you shoot a few rounds the chamber heats up and the heat softens up the lacquer coating on the ammo cases. This causes the case to stick in the chamber. The bolt appears to be stuck because the extractor is attached to the case. There is not a lot you can do about this problem when you shoot this type of ammo. After experiencing this with my Mosin Nagant I tried ammo with a brass case and had no issues with sticking. Of course you should always thoroughly clean your rifle after each use, but a dirty chamber is not the cause of this problem.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I pretty much agree with c3. but I like to scrub it with the bronze brush, wipe it out with a patch, and then wet the chamber and let it soak in Hoppe's overnight before proceeding.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

follow up the mineral spirits with a cleaning using denatured alcohol. the denatured alcohol instantly disolves lacquer. just be sure you DO NOT get it on the stock as it will instantly strip it the lacquer finish.

between the mineral spirits and alcohol it should fix your issues.

11. SubSniper91395

What if I soaked/ rubbed the bullets with the mineral spirits and the denatured alcohol to strip them of the lacquer instead?

12. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

All of these ideas will work okay for cleaning the chamber, but I do not think the gun itself is the cause of this problem. Even starting with a spotless chamber the lacquer-coated cases will soon start sticking after a few rounds are fired. The lacquer on the cases will soften and cause this problem over and over. I have talked to other shooters who have experienced this problem with a Mosin Nagant and they concurred that the ammo was the root cause of the problem with sticking bolts. Maybe somehow finely polishing the chamber might help but it would take a certain skill level to do it right, and I certainly wouldn't suggest it.

13. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I did everything c3 said then I lapped my bolt to the receiver. I haven't had too much trouble since. Polish the mating surfaces on the bolt as well, a little 1000 grit sand paper and some mothers mag polish.

14. SubSniper91395

So Blue Turf, so do think I could clean the lacquer off the bullets with unnatured alcohol without hurting them?

15. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think it could be done, but I wouldn't suggest it. There is a very real possibility that removing the lacquer coating could make the sticking problem even worse. It is not unusual for different types of metal surfaces to bind and seize up when making contact with each other, much like trying to insert a brass case into a non-carbide reloading die with not enough or no lubricant. I think I would just swab the chamber after a few shots and do this until the steed cased ammo is gone. I tried this and it was kind of a pain-in-the-butt but it worked.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

the mineral spirits wont affect the lacquer. but the denatured alcohol will remove it with a wipe down. removing it wont hurt long as you understand as soon as its gone the steel is unprotected and can start rusting rather quickly.

lot of work for no reason. once the chamber is good and clean it takes a while to gunk it up again. sticky bolt is usually a result of a unclean cosmo'd chamber combined with lacquer.

you can reduce the buildup of lacquer by immediatly removing a fired case and not overheating the gun.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

*edit*

Now we're making sense.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  18. SubSniper91395

I have cleaned the bore and chamber fully, and lubed the bolt. Im not going to try to de-lacquer the bullets, just going to try to get through the steel ammo then get "the good stuff" thank you all!!!

19. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I read on a different forum that another shooter tried this and the alcohol penetrated the rounds and he had FTF on half his rounds. Anything strong enough to remove lacquer will most likely penetrate the round and damage the powder or primer.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

i doubt using a damp cloth with it will hurt anything. that guy prolly dipped em instead of just doing a wipe.