STG-44 replica

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by zhuk, Nov 8, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

[Possibly my only legit posting ever in this thread. lol]

A bit of excitement after today's club rifle comp. One of the guys brought out his newly-accquired replica Sturmgewehr; the mag loads with dummy rounds, ejects, trigger engages etc ie everything but actual firing capability.

Was fantastic to hold it, guess I was very possibly the most excited person there...I tried to restrain myself and could have taken many more pics if I hadn't wanted to appear *somewhat* sane lol. So forgive me for the overload..yeah there are a few!

The guy who owns it (in the background of the photos) holds a special prohibited weapons/restricted licence as a collector.

So much like the AK, unsurprisingly since a German was captured with one by the Russians in 1944, obviously Kalashnikov must have got a few "hints"...

Have to say racking the charging handle was immensely satisfying! *Bang!* That uncannily familiar sound which I know so well from youtube AK videos, heh. Absolutely made my day. Especially since this is as close as I'm ever likely to get to an AK...or anything semi-auto for that matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zhuk

zhuk New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our slightly crazy club armourer, Matt

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

last ones

[​IMG]
    Can you see the pure desire in his eyes? :p

[​IMG]
    Joy getting a go

Actually, it's only now that I post these photos here that I realise how truly deprived we are in oz. Wouldn't be surprised if a few members here lol'd at our unseemly joy over something that doesn't actually fire :rolleyes:

/sigh!

4. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Zhuk:

What a beautiful weapon! But a non-firing replica? Must be something like kissing your sister.

But thanks for posting the photos, I have not ever had the opportunity to see one in person, so those photos are appreciated.

It is such a shame that you Aussies have to endure such a crap social-political anti-gun environment there down under. Which amazes me, beacuse none of the 12-15 Aussies that I have known personally were anywhere close to being socially correct or politically liberal!

5. zhuk

zhuk New Member

'Kissing your sister', heh...rather a good analogy for replicas I guess!

Glad you liked the pics. I was giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl for some time afterwards, and I get that big goofy grin thinking about it now :p

Yeah I know :rolleyes: unfortunately us shooters are looked upon with considerable suspicion by the public at large. I decided to support the club & the cause and bought a RANRRC (Royal Aust Naval Reserve Rifle Club) cap last week...you should see the double-takes and weird looks I get on the street from assorted people lol

We never had the sort of widespread-accepted gun culture like the US has traditionally had, but that bastard Howard has a lot of demonising to answer for.

6. BudW

BudW New Member

That is so cool!!!,

7. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

zhuk,

Here ya go...not exactly a STG-44, but more than a replica

I.O.INC: MP38-C Pistol, 9x19 "CLOSEOUT"

[​IMG]

I'd love to have a STG-44, but will never be able to afford that one. Very cool pics.

Slo

8. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Nice!

I appreciate the link Slo ;)

(considered too dangerous for CA I notice, ha)

Didn't actually ask Richard how much he paid for the STG...but it would have been pretty damn sizable. Being a registered prohibited weapons collector, he must also belong to an official collector's club & attend x number of meetings per year to retain lawful ownership. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more bureaucratic lol

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The StG-44 is truly a historical weapon. The Russians claim the AK was an independent design that was not "inspired" my Sturmgewer. I'm calling BS on that one. It also inspired the CETME/HK G-3 series of weapons.

To make you drool even more, I have a co-worker that has an honest to goodness StG-44. I have fired it. Class 3 machine gun. Ammo is still available, but fairly expensive. I have another co-worker with an MP-40. He is looking to sell if anyone is interested.

10. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Too right, robocop. Having seen it there's no way you could say it's not the literal precursor to the AK-47...ie a less-overengineered version of the StG. As you might imagine the Russians would prefer :p

Think I read somewhere once that the more curved AK magazine was a technical improvement, from a performance POV...

11. afi1

afi1 New Member

12. group17

group17 New Member

My dad got one from his father who brought one home after the war. He wasn't into guns so we use to play war with it as a kids (no ammo of course). Wish I remembered what happen to it. Of course he use to restore cars and had stuff like Lincoln Gray Hound radiator caps laying around. If we could only go back in time.

They do make an airsoft version.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FFgwbF7gds]YouTube - Shoei MP44 airsoft gun.[/ame]

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Ahh nice link! thanks.

Yes, for those rather more civilised countries in which airsoft is legal.

Unfortunately, I don't live in one of those :p

(but appreciate the vid anwyay)

14. group17

group17 New Member

Un-civilized in Australia?

My son visited Gunnedah new south wales on a rotary exchange and really enjoyed your country.

Air soft would come in handy keeping the "roos" out of the back yard vegetable garden.

300FPS plastic BB's on full auto works like a champ making sure the deer dine at the neighbors where I live.

15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Well we'd be a lot more civilised if airsoft was legal lol

Airsoft is categorised here as 'military-style firearms' due to their automatic operation. Hell, even semi-auto would be a no-no :p

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words, any airsoft gun having similar operation to a "real" firearm, is considered exactly the same as that firearm in legislation.

(btw group17, my cousin is on a property running merinos & cattle @ Coolah, not that far from Gunnedah in the scale of things. It's a nice bit of country round those parts ;))

16. Skate

Skate New Member

I thought that airsoft was a fairly big thing down in austriala, I suppose I was misinformed. At least you can be happy you don't live in Canada.

As far as the StG-44 goes, is it easy to obtain a genuine one in the States? The laws shouldn't be too bad due to my location, but are there any available for purchase?

17. group17

group17 New Member

zhuk,
    Here is my sons MP5 airsoft deer repellent. It's no STG 44 but still fun to shoot. I guess we in the states don't know how well we have it when it comes to firearms until we talk to some one from another country.

[​IMG]

He also visited a a friend on a ranch in Dorrigo, New South Wales.
    (Australia is very big scale)
    The host family took him out one night roo hunting.
    I think he prefered staying in town hunting Sheila's.

18. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Ok this might be a leading question heh, but what's so bad about Canada? I thought they could have semi-autos etc and all sorts of things we can't :confused:

Hey nice pic! thanks. Sorta tormenting, but I appreciate it anyway :D

Yeah we are a massive country (only 2 million sq kms smaller than the US) but with less people than Texas has rattling around in it, lol

'Sheila-hunting'? rofl. Men outnumber women in rural areas so that would be much more of a challenge than finding roos :p