Steyr M95, or Type 53?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by therhino, Jan 16, 2013.

1. therhino

therhino New Member

Just when I have the extra money to make my first C&R purchase, the market evaporates. All the Mosins? Gone. Nagants? Gone or price doubled.
    When you snooze, you lose!

As a result, I'm now debating between a Type 53 or a Steyr M95. I've done a bunch of reading on the Steyr. Ammo is rare (though I found one place that has 40s era stuff for reasonable prices, but it's not reloadable). Hornady and PPU make modern stuff that is reloadable though, and you can get supplies from various reloading outfits to handload for much less than retail.
    Problem there is...I don't reload yet.

I don't know squat about the Type 53, other than the ammo is far cheaper than the 8x56R ;). The little reading I've done says they're "ok, not great." Anyone own one and shoot it regularly?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I like old Milsurps. I am set up to do about any type of case forming bullet swaging etc. The M-95 is very interesting and the cases can be formed from existing brass. The problem is the En-block clips. I can not find any of these. I don't know if they can be made from other clips?:confused:

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I just got one of the Steyer M95/34's yesterday from J&G and it is in really good shape. I was expecting much worse. The En-block clips are readily available on eBay and I picked up 8 of them, 6 arrived before the Steyer.

ForumRunner_20130116_112648.jpg

I recommend the Steyer, I may pick up another one or two at $99 each.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Thx for the Info. Cabelas had some real nice ones at the Lehi, Utah location.:)

5. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Last 2 en-block clips arrived today. Loaded up they fit in an old surplus M1 Garand bandoleer.

ForumRunner_20130116_210639.jpg

6. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

I just hate the thought that somehow we give more money to the Ghinese when they have such a bad human rights record and a HUGE trade surplus with us.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What has the Ghinese? debt have to do with a thread on the Austrian Steyer Mdl. of 1895??:confused:

8. therhino

therhino New Member

I also mentioned the ChiCom Type 53 in my orginal post.

9. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

They type 53 is a Chinese made Mosin m44 I have one and its great. The Styer is definitely on my list of future buys don't think you could go wrong with either.

10. cameramon

cameramon New Member

11. therhino

therhino New Member

Thanks for the link. I'd stumbled on that shortly after my post. PPU is good, if a bit dirty, ammo. I use their stuff in my CZ82 almost exclusively. Reloadable, too!

12. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Just learn to reload them, no further problems. :D

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Did it come with the sling? I cant seem to find anything but "reproduction" ones (I put that in quotes because their not even correct repros)

14. marc29th

marc29th New Member

15. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

16. therhino

therhino New Member

Awesome, thank you!
    Now I have to figure out how to get my license scanned into a PDF...

17. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

If you have a smartphone, there's many apps that use the camera and save it as a PDF.

18. therhino

therhino New Member

Ah. I do have a smartphone,but the resolution on the camera is horrible, at best.
    The copier here at work can scan to a file, I just have to figure out how to make it do that. I'm not road staff, so I never use it to scan travel receipts and such. Gotta ask around.

19. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Was easy in my case. The messed up my home address on my renewal. Ater a couple emails and phone calls, they emailed me a corrected one in PDF while I waited for the real one to arrive by snail mail.