Steyr Aug users ?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by sandog, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sandog

sandog Member

Was at a big gun show yesterday, several hundred tables, and one guy had a NIB Steyr Aug. I have always wanted one, don't see too many in Montana. I think he was a bit high on his price. I got his card and thought I'd research them. He is a gunsmith from another Montana town and said he has 3 if them. So I can get one from him next month or whenever, no hurry. Anybody have one, or got to shoot one ?
    http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sporting-riflespistols/steyr-auga3-sa-usa/

2. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have a Steyr AUG/A3 that I bought back in April. It is so short and handy. I have shot it some but not a lot but I like it. Like most bullpup designs the trigger pull is pretty bad but not much can be done about that because of all the linkage required with the action back by your ear and the trigger some where out in front of that. I have heard the Tavor trigger is some better than the AUG. I may try to add one those to my collection next year. The prices seem about the same for either and the Tavor uses AR magazines. I gave around $2100 for my AUG and 3 magazines.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

3. sandog

sandog Member

I guess Steyr has an Aug model now that uses AR-15 magazines.

4. string1946

string1946 New Member

I don't know. Could be. Mine used a different magazine and I haven't seen a AUG that uses AR magazines. I did see an after market replacement lower receiver that said would us AR magazines that seems like too much trouble.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Yes, Steyr AUG's can now use AR-15 magazines. I prefer the Steyr over the Tavor. To me the Steyr is much easier to manipulate than the Tavor. I sell the Steyr AUG's for $1849. They're much easier to get a hold of and cheaper than the Tavors.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok thanks. Thats good to know.

7. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I don't have one... yet. One day I hope to.

8. john300k

john300k New Member

I have a Microtec MSAR STG-556 rifle, it is a copy of the Steyr Aug. My wife won it in a raffle at are gun shop...

9. sandog

sandog Member

The Microtech looks like a real good copy of the AUG. I was just reading that the original company went out of business but now there are new owners and they are manufacturing again.

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here. I'll buy one when I learn to poop $10 bills. Two a day, $140 a week, so I figure I'll buy one a little over three months, after I learn that trick.

11. HDLikeMe

HDLikeMe New Member

Does the AUG have a .22 or other conversion kit? I just received the 9mm kit for my Tavor, and can't wait to use it.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

I have a Stg-556. I think it's a plus that it uses AUG mags because it's harder to do mag changes with a bullpup and that 40% increase in capacity over AR mags makes up for it IMO. MSAR also made the E4 which uses STANANG mags.

RatWorx USA makes parts for MSARs that fix a lot of issues like trigger pull. I imagine they make the same stuff for AUGs if the parts aren't interchangeable.

13. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

I installed a "Trigger Tamer" in my older AUG. It was not hard to do and improved the trigger by a significant amount.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You can't go wrong with either the Tavor or the AUG. I would prefer the Tavor, but that's just my taste.