Stevens 5100 trigger question - I need some help!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Monterey, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Monterey

Monterey New Member

Hello,

As a favor to my father-in-law I've been restoring his 1949 Stevens 5100 double barrel side-by-side. I disassembled it and sent the metal off to be re-blued and ordered new stocks from Boyd’s. I did not disassemble the receiver portion.

I’ve got it all back together yesterday but in testing it unloaded I can’t seem to figure out how the triggers/hammers get cocked after firing. If I remove the stock I can access the hammers and pull those back and it resets the trigger. But if I dry-fire it, break open the barrels to simulate a reload, and close the barrels again, the triggers don’t reset.

I’ve never worked on a shotgun before, only using my 870 for light hunting. Any advice on how this is supposed to work would be appreciated.

I examined how the barrels, forend, and receiver mate and function when opening and closing and I think I have a better understanding now. I think that with this Stevens (and maybe the Savage 311s?) that when you break it open and then close it there is a beveled rod that protrudes from the receiver that moves up and down kind of like a teeter-totter. I'm guessing that this action somehow resets the hammers but although it seems to be engaging properly with the forend/barrel assembly it's still not resetting the triggers.

It's possible that it wasn't working when I got it. Perhaps a trip to the smith might be in order.

Monterey...

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It sounds like the "recocking levers" either was left out, is broke, or was broken/missing to begin with. The smith that blued it should have caught this during disassembly/reassembly. I'd recommend you take it to a smith.