Stevens 5100 double barrel - I need help

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Monterey, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Monterey

Monterey New Member

Hello,

As a favor to my father-in-law I've been restoring his 1949 Stevens 5100 double barrel side-by-side. I disassembled it and sent the metal off to be re-blued and ordered new stocks from Boyd’s. I did not disassemble the receiver portion.

I’ve got it all back together yesterday but in testing it unloaded I can’t seem to figure out how the triggers/hammers get cocked after firing. If I remove the stock I can access the hammers and pull those back and it resets the trigger. But if I dry-fire it, break open the barrels to simulate a reload, and close the barrels again, the triggers don’t reset.

I’ve never worked on a shotgun before, only using my 870 for light hunting. Any advice on how this is supposed to work would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Monterey

Monterey New Member

I examined how the barrels, forend, and receiver mate and function when opening and closing and I think I have a better understanding now. I think that with this Stevens (and maybe the Savage 311s?) that when you break it open and then close it there is a beveled rod that protrudes from the receiver that moves up and down kind of like a teeter-totter. I'm guessing that this action somehow resets the hammers but although it seems to be engaging properly with the forend/barrel assembly it's still not resetting the triggers.

It's possible that it wasn't working when I got it. Perhaps a trip to the smith might be in order.

Monterey...

3. acmainah

acmainah New Member

I took mine apart and wouldn't suggest anyone do this unless they know what they are doing. I ended up getting lucky in getting it back together. Can't quite remember how I did it, but wouldn't do it again. I took mine to a gunsmith about a year after I took it apart and couldn't get it back together. He couldn't figure it out. Then about a couple years later I tried again and got it. It took about 20 different attempts at it over a span of about 3 years. Its back together now and all is well. But, I need a stock and forend for it as the wood ones were junk. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a cheap stock and forend?

4. Monterey

Monterey New Member

5. acmainah

acmainah New Member

Thanks for the link, would the model 311 fit the model 5100? I didn't see any for the model 5100, but I do understand that they are very similar.

Did you ever get your 5100 working? It is like a puzzle, and no one seems to have a lot of knowledge on the double barrels. For me, trial and error seemed to work, although it took about 3 years.

6. Monterey

Monterey New Member

Yes, I used the model 311 pieces for my 5100. There are two types of stocks for the 5100, usually called Type I and Type II. The Type II is curved at the matting surface of the receiver. I'd suggest calling their 800 number. I've called a couple of times and their customer service was very good. They fedex from South Dakota so you have to add another $15-$20 for shipping.

I did get the 5100 working last night. Turns out you really have to break it open very firmly to the end to get the triggers to reset. Much harder than I would have anticipated. But as long as you know that it will work fine. For a gun that's 60 years old I don't think it's been used all that much. Mostly just abused! :eek:

7. mccauley444

mccauley444 New Member

Where did you send it for re-bluing?

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

FWIW the receiver on 5100's was color case hardened not blued. Stocks and fore ends are available from several places. Numrich, Bobs, Gunbroker just to name a few. 311 wood will fit if you use the right style as was already mentioned.