Firearms Talk banner
241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
As you can tell I'm new to this, sorry. I have a 425 high power for the .25 Rem. Anybody know how to get the date of manufacture? Serial number 2431, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

We are trying to find out just how many Stevens 425 High Power rifles were actually manufactured. We do not believe the 26,000 number quoted in the Blue Book and Flayderman's, nor do we believe the 10,000-11,000 figure quoted in Bill West's Savage & Stevens book. In the Marlin Firearms book by Brophy, he claims that only about 1,000 were manufactured between 1911-1917, and that might be a much more accurate figure.

If you have a Stevens 425 series High Power rifle, or know someone who has one, please post the gun's serial number on this forum. So far we have identified 18 guns, with the lowest number being #1050 and the highest #5302. The Stevens 425 serial numbers were lumped together in the Stevens' records with another Stevens rifle, possibly the Crack Shot No. 15, and the 425 numbers do not appear to be consectutive, so identifying individual rifles is important.

Please help.

Peter
Hi,

We are trying to find out just how many Stevens 425 High Power rifles were actually manufactured. We do not believe the 26,000 number quoted in the Blue Book and Flayderman's, nor do we believe the 10,000-11,000 figure quoted in Bill West's Savage & Stevens book. In the Marlin Firearms book by Brophy, he claims that only about 1,000 were manufactured between 1911-1917, and that might be a much more accurate figure.

If you have a Stevens 425 series High Power rifle, or know someone who has one, please post the gun's serial number on this forum. So far we have identified 18 guns, with the lowest number being #1050 and the highest #5302. The Stevens 425 serial numbers were lumped together in the Stevens' records with another Stevens rifle, possibly the Crack Shot No. 15, and the 425 numbers do not appear to be consectutive, so identifying individual rifles is important.

Please help.

Peter
Hi I just picked one up. no wood but the rifle is in beautiful shape in 35 Rem.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
There is a registry for them online. Appears they were mfg 1910-1917.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just went back to the gun show and bought #1985. It.s in good shape except for a screw and a pin in the but stock on either side of the tang. Some sort of repair?

Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
As you can tell I'm new to this, sorry. I have a 425 high power for the .25 Rem. Anybody know how to get the date of manufacture? Serial number 2431, thanks.
I am new to this forum and entered to list my stevens 425 high power 30-30 in good condition serial number 4838. I believe I have seen a post for one with a serial number 4837. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am new to this forum and entered to list my stevens 425 high power 30-30 in good condition serial number 4838. I believe I have seen a post for one with a serial number 4837. Thanks
I'm glad you revised this thread, it seems to have died for a while.

For those interested, I talked to Peter about a year ago. He is still around but was having some health problems. I hope he gets back to monitoring this forum. I know he is on other forums too keeping track of the 425 serial #s. Anybody have any newer news?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently inherited a Steven's 425 in .35 Remington. Serial number 2292. Looks to be in great shape but have not had time to shoot it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New member. Just purchased a 425 in .30-30 Rem. Serial number is 2250. Don't know its history, so don't know if it might have been reported previously.

Does anyone know if the list being assembled by the original poster is available publicly (preferably on line)? Or what other forums (as mentioned above) one might find other replies on? Thanks for any info you can provide.

BTW, I am still looking for a High Power in .35 Rem if anyone has one they want to part with, or wants to trade for mine in .30-30 Rem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Please help.

Peter
Hi Peter. Just had a 1910 35 cal stevens arms 425 high powered rifle psssed down that was my great grandfathers, is there a serial number on the gun? Saw your post on this gun! Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Please help.

Peter
I found your page looking for a buttstock that is in serviceable condition. My rifle is in 30-30 cal. serial #2357. Hopefully someone here knows of one or even a replica..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Stevens High Power 425 in .30 Remington Serial 3939, so you can add that to your list if still active. Where do I find .30 Remington, or what other ammo am I able to use?
View attachment 240878 View attachment 240879 View attachment 240880 View attachment 240881
I have found a few sources. Old factory ammo in auctions on line. Precision Cartridge (www.precisioncartridge.com). Reed's Ammunition & Research (www.reedsammo.com). Often out of stock... buy what you can afford when you see it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found a few sources. Old factory ammo in auctions on line. Precision Cartridge (www.precisioncartridge.com). Reed's Ammunition & Research (www.reedsammo.com). Often out of stock... buy what you can afford when you see it!
And if you haven't figured it out already, don't let someone try to sell you .30 Rem AR for use in your rifle. Definitely NOT the same thing as the .30 Rem you need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
61 Stevens 425 rifles - so far

So far, we have found just 61 Stevens 425 High Power rifles. The low serial number is still 1050 and the high number is still 5594.

Gun Digest is going to publish another letter hunting for High Power owners in their upcoming NRA issue. This letter will include my regular street address so persons who don't have a computer can contact me.

Several persons have suggested that the numbers we've collected indicates that Stevens made 5000 of these guns. However, we have found no consecutive numbers, and would think if there were 5,000 of these guns we would have found lots more than just 61.

We need more serial numbers and calibers.

Peter
NRA Life Member
Have a Stevens High Power 425 in 30-30 and no apparent serial #. Where to get a manual for it?

241 - 260 of 271 Posts