Firearms Talk banner
221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for letting me know you got my Stevens info. I was beginning to wonder if my posting went through alright since I'm new to this site.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Thanks Harry, I have added it to our list.

Question: The 25-20 Single Shot caliber used by some Stevens was very different from the 25-20 Win. Is the .25 Remingtom yet another cartridge? I own all the calibers used in the Stevens High Power EXCEPT the .25 Rem, so I'm really ignorant.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds just about right. My Stevens in .30 Remington is almost exactly like the 30-30 winchester without the rim. It makes sense they would neck down the .25 Rem. I recently reloaded about 3 boxes of .30 rem. using load data for 30-30 winchester. I kept the loads a little on the light side though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I have two Stevens High Power rifles in .32 REM, but I don't have one in .25 REM. Anyone want to trade a .25 for a .32?

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
We've found an interesting development in our search for Stevens 425 high Power Rifles. We now have three (3) consecutive serial numbers: 4188, 4189, and 4190 - all in .35 Rem caliber.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Peter.
Do you have a list of all of the serial numbers that you can maybe post for all of us to see? I for one would be very curious to see what the spread looks like. Mine is 4125 and I'm wondering if others close to mine are also in .30 Rem since 4188, 89, and 90 were all in .35 Rem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I do have a list of all the serial numbers and their calibers, but we are talking about over 200 guns! I can tell you that the two calibers that are listed most are .30 Rem and .35 Rem, and this is across all the serial numbers. Also, it appears that Stevens realized that those two calibers were the best sellers, so most of the later (higher serial numbered) guns are mostly in .30 Rem and .35 Rem -- in fact. towards the end, almost all the High Power rifles were chambered in .35 Rem. It is interesting that of those four Remington calibers, only the .35 Rem is still being manufactured.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not realize that .35 Rem was still being manufactured since mine is a .30 Rem. I have to prowl the internet intensely just to find once-fired brass that I can reload. The factory stuff from the 1980's is getting so expensive when you find it that it's cheaper to load your own. It makes sense that the higher calibers sold the most. I guess most people wanted a more versatile, all-around load if they could only afford one rifle. I guess I should be grateful i don't have a .32 Rem. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Peter, thanks for the howdy do? I haven't had much to say about my Stevens 35 other than I found a gunsmith in San Marcos that was willing to rebuild my hammer mechanism and replace the springs for hammer and trigger. Seems there is another problem that he found but was unwilling to repair it. the shell doesn't seat completely in the chamber and leaves a 64th or so of a lip. Said that it could cause powder flash back through the ejector and burn the eye behind it. I've taken it up to Bozeman to a gunsmith up there that will be checking to see if there is a problem with seating the shell and repair it if possible. Hope so, sure do love to shoot that thing. That's about it. take care. I enjoy reading all the input.
Tbuck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
EXCITING NEWS! We have just been informed that a Stevens collector in Canada has a 425 High Power rifle with the serial number #1011 in .35 Rem. That has replaced #1021 (also in .35 Rem) as the lowest serial number we have found so far! If we are correct in thinking that the 425 numbers started at 1000, then this would be the 12th rifle manufactured. Or if the numbers started at 1001, this would be the 11th made.

The same collector has a Stevens 430 high Power, serial number 4791 in .35 Rem

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stevens 425

Howdy peter: In answer to what % of these survive i feel as you said that people didn't dispose of them even if they broke i would feel that 70% of them are around in usable or nearly so condition about 15% have been parted out or something to that affect and the 15% are just gone, used up. There does seem to be a fair amount of parts guns/receivers show up for sale on the net. This is just my opinion. I also feel that there were around 5000 guns made going by your serial no.'s collected. Figuring they started at 1000 since no guns have showed up under 1000. If a gun does than i'd raise my estimate to 6000. I don't think these were serialized with another model may have been but i dougt it. Also you told someone that you felt you put the word out real well and that you seem to think you have reports on a good 10% of the guns that remain, maybe. But i've been collecting guns for 50 years and never heard of your endeavor. I have 4 of these one i just bought today from ermineweasle. It is a 25 and all i have of the no. Is 308x but figure he already gave it to you. He turned me on to you so this it all his fault.. The others i have are a 32 #2317, 3030 rem #3134 and 35 #4763. Had the 32 for maybe 30 years the 30-30 and 35 maybe a few years.. These i saw on gun broker lately you have them but here they are. 30-30 rem #2565, 35 #3702 & 25 #4233. Another thought on the surviving guns is they were not military they were hunting rifles and this is another reason i feel there would be a much higher survivor rate. Keep up the good work. Ran into a guy maybe 20 or so years ago who had a collection of these guns. He had nearly all if not all of the calibers in the models 425, 430, 435 and 440. Don't remember any carbines. Had extras of some but at the time wasn't interested nor could i afford them. Have never seen any thing since except the 425. Would love to have a carbine. Didn't know they made them..
Hope this is still of interest as i'm answering a post from about 2008. Swt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today in cleaning 4358 I took off the butt stock and then the plate as well and to my amazement, stuck inside the butt plate and printed in ink on two small pieces of cloth tape, were the words OWNED BY JOHN GENTRY. I’m astonished to find this as you would think somebody after all this time would have pulled off the plate and found it already, but no. The wood screws holding the plate on the stock were unmarred but rusty, so probably never disturbed since the name sticker went in. The gun was bought at the Wanenamcher Tulsa Show about three years ago by the person who sold it to me. Don't suppose anyone reading this will recall 4358 or possibly know anything about a John Gentry? If he was the original owner, he may be dead by now but you never know what turns up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Peter, A new member, Just purchased a Stevens 425 in 30-30rem #4140. A friend has a 425 in 30-30rem #5136.
Question, were all 30cal marked 30-30rem>
were all 25cal marked 25rem soft point?
what is your total count.

Keep up the good work, thanks Vic

221 - 240 of 271 Posts