Firearms Talk banner
201 - 220 of 293 Posts
It's not that the high priced heirloom wasn't used, it was worth fixing. Most people who bought high end guns kept them oiled and rust free. Were as the guy who bought a cheap rifle to keep in his tool box didn't bother fixing it when it broke. He made a lamp out of it or gave it to someone who had intentions of fixing it but ended up selling it for scrap or parts. How much could you justify on repairs when you could order the same gun from a mail order catalog for $7.

Discussion starter · #202 ·
It's not that the high priced heirloom wasn't used, it was worth fixing. Most people who bought high end guns kept them oiled and rust free. Were as the guy who bought a cheap rifle to keep in his tool box didn't bother fixing it when it broke. He made a lamp out of it or gave it to someone who had intentions of fixing it but ended up selling it for scrap or parts. How much could you justify on repairs when you could order the same gun from a mail order catalog for $7.
All of the Stevens 425 High Power rifles I've seen were very well made and in no way appeared to be "cheap" guns. I own four of them, including a very scarce Model 425-C (a saddle-ring carbine). I also own Winchesters and Marlins and my Stevens are certainly equal in quality

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

Hello everybody! I am in need of a cartridge carrier for a M425 High Power in 35 Remington, serial #4677 if memory serves me correctly. It has been in my family for 5 generations and was used a great deal for deer and bear hunting in northern New England. If anybody knows who may have parts for these rifles I'd would be grateful for the information. This thread was a pleasant surprise to find, I didn't think that there was much interest in these guns. I'll watch for more serial numbers and any other info to post.
Your best bet is Numrich Arms, they buy old guns and part them out.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

One time I needed a cylinder hand for an old S&W "triple lock" .44 special... It took them nine months, but they did eventually come up with the part. - So if they don't have the part that you need in stock, put in a request and one day you'll get that fateful phone call or eMail.

Good luck on restoring that fine old firearm.

Discussion starter · #205 ·
In the post by Phineas, quoted by Salvo, above, Phineas says he has serial number 4677 in 35 Rem. I had that on our list, but for some reason it was crossed out. Don't know why -- I'll put it back on the list.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

Another one.

Just found this site. I have a 425 in 35 Rem. It is in storage right now but will get the ser. # when I get back to Idaho. Just a note, it has no blueing and the barrel is stamped " nickle Steel". Are all that way?

Jack

Discussion starter · #207 ·
Just found this site. I have a 425 in 35 Rem. It is in storage right now but will get the ser. # when I get back to Idaho. Just a note, it has no blueing and the barrel is stamped " nickle Steel". Are all that way?

Jack
All Stevens 425 rifles should be blued and the barrels are marked "Nickel Steel". When you get your serial number, please post it here. Thanks!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

Thanks Paul for the info. I have owned this gun since my grandfather died in 1969. For all these years I thought it wasn't blued because the barrel was nickel steel. It must have gotten a lot of use back in the day to wear off all the blueing. I used it after my grandfather died for about ten years until I got my 30 06.

Jack.

I don't Know how many on this site are old enough to remember, but I do:rolleyes:, back in the early 50s the Shooters Bible?, 51,52,53?, opened with a feature article on the Stevens Model 425. It also showed a pic of a gun the king of Saudi Arabia ordered that had fancy engraving and gold inlay? If anyone does remember and maybe even has a copy of that edition could you post exactly the edition year or even copy and paste that article here.:) I was a bit young at the time but remember it well and would like to find a copy of that bible.

Thanks,
Jack

Hello
I'm a new member only to help out with the Stevens Highpower Rifle.
After 2 days of problems to place my info finerly it is going.
I have a Stevens 425 Highpower #1102 cal.35 Rem.in verry good condition.
like the picture you see,what I have copy from the internet

I'm in Canada
have a verry nice merry christmas and a happy new year

Benbeno

Attachments

Here is my stevens high-power info!

I got my model 425 in the mid 1980's for $60.00 which included a partial box of ammo! Back then I used to repair the vehicles of one of our local Sheriffs at the garage I worked at. One of our local police officers had died in a car accident and my Sheriff buddy was helping his widow sell of her husbands gun collection to help support the household. Bob came by the garage in his van and opened the back doors and there were a pile of guns in the back. The stevens caught my eye since I did not yet own a lever-action rifle. I did'nt have a lot of money back then so I offered $60.00 and he took it. My model 425 is chambered in .30 Remington and the serial number is 4125 which is stamped behind the trigger and also on the lever itself. I hope you add this to your library of serial numbers. I meant to do this sooner but I'm not much of a social butterfly when it comes to computer use. I have just reloaded a batch of 50 or 60 cases I acquired recently. Can't wait to see how my grouping is when I shoot it this spring!

Take care all!

201 - 220 of 293 Posts