Stevens 200 conversion

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gunner43, Sep 26, 2011.

1. gunner43

gunner43 New Member

I got a call wanting me to convert a Sevens 200 30-06 to a 308. What kind of problem will I run into with the Mag feed of the shorter cartridge?

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Quite a bit, sometimes. The way the round feeds out of the mag it may lift the bullet to high to chamber. Bad angle. See if you could get a 6.5 barrel. A 6.5-06 almost eqauls a 6.5 mag without the issues or case capasity the magnum has.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

All Savage's used to be made with a long action. Check with Numrich gun parts,or even Savage and buy a 308 blind mag,and follower.That's all you'll need. Look for a Savage 110-308 blind mag/follower.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

thats a good round and the ballistics are great. but the downside is that is a handload only caliber, as there is no factory loaded ammo for it. matter of fact i'm in the process of building one on a remington M700 action.

try Brownells, thet carry some Savage barrels. don't remember if they fit the model 200 or not. check them out.

5. gunner43

gunner43 New Member

Thanks all for the response. I think that I'll pass on this job and let someone with a little more experience handle it.