Sterno ??

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by onewaywooten, Aug 12, 2013.

1. onewaywooten

onewaywooten New Member

I can get a good deal on a large amount of sterno
    Fuel. My question is should I stock up on it or not ? I can get 50 cans for 15-20 bucks. I have no idea about shelf life though . Will it last?!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, as long as the can stays sealed and unopened, it has a very long shelf life.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The Sterno website says shelf life is one year.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The cans often are not quite sealed so shelf life is shortened. You could likely seal them with varnish or shellac or wax but that seams like alot of work.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

$15 or $20 is not much money. But I would be looking at something else. If you are looking for an emergency cooking alternative, you might want to look at Coleman stoves. I have one that will burn either Coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline. It costs about $100. I have had mine for close to 20 years. It still works like the day I bought it. And fuel is easy to come buy. I could use the gas can from the lawn mower if I needed to. I have had an old can of Coleman fuel that must be at least 10 years old. It still burns fine.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

If it started to evaporate, you could turn it into squeeze.

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one last year, and took it camping this summer. I had lit it several times, but never cooked on it. It worked great other than the limited btu's, so I had to use no. 5 cast skillets.

Have you ever had to change the seals in it?

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

A little goes a long way at least with me, I use it to start fires build a small pile of kindlin and put some on the end of stick light it and boom I usually get a fire going pretty quick.

But it's good for a few different things but really for that price do you ever see yourself using sturno that much or do you have a better plan?