Step one...what power

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by DarinCraft, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Ok, I got my 16" bull barreled AR back and I want to turn it into a 300 meter paper/coyote/and whatever is pissing me off gun. I am at the stage of looking for a scope.

First, I will be shooting factory ammo and will be perfectly happy with 2" groups (Even though there is a member here who has the same upper and shoots .5" at 300 with no problem).

Second, I know that I should buy a high dollar scope, but I just can't justify $400 on a scope let alone $1000 especially when I am such a amateur shooter. So I think I can get what I want for somewhere near $250-300.

Since there are so many scopes out there, I thought I would break it down into several smaller decisions.

What power should I be looking at? I thought a 3x9 would be perfect, but I am seeing a lot of AR's with max power being 12x.

Thanks guys
    Darin

2. fpdsniper

fpdsniper New Member

3-9 will work, but I think I'd bump it up to around 4-16 for 300 meters. No real drawbacks to go that route.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I dislike 3-9 for 100 yard+ shooting. I like to see my holes in the target, without using a spotting scope. Both of my precision guns have leupold 6-18x40 VX-II on them. Even my Marlin model 60 has a Bushnell 4-12x40.

I have a 3-9x50 Nikon on my 7mag sporter. Really all I need for a hunting rifle that will not see any target shooting.

High magnification for targets, lower for hunting.

My .02

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  4. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Yep! me too. For 300 yds I'll take all the magnification I can get. If you buy a variable power, you can always turn it down for moving targets. JMHO, Ken

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would have to agree that I prefer a scope with power to see, tightly and precisely, what I am shooting for paper.

For moving, humanoid or animals( I have honestly only ever shot coyote, wild hog and went Elk hunting to get skunked ), I prefer a lower magnification to allow a better field of view.

I would agree with something along the lines of a 4.5 x 14 or 4 x 16 ( depends on the brand ).

Good luck in your research. If you wait about two weeks, the SHOT show reports will be hitting the wire and press and there might be some new gems out there.

I would be happy to evaluate some scopes for you in this power level while I am there with Scubie. :p

6. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

WillfullyArmed, I'm gonna let your comment slide this time because I seriously don't think you meant that how it sounded. But the next time you challenge me as an American even though I am a medically retired cop who gave up most of the nerves in my right foot to protect a$$hats like you we are going to have a MAJOR problem.

BTW , the range I go to is in meters so if the only thing you can do is take below the belt shots at people like that, stay the eff away from me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

the us armed forces measures everything in metrics. why?? because its faster than translating yards and lends itself better to map use. less confusion and time wasted.

i always thought it was weird talking meters and then switching to miles. i still think in yards feet inches cups ounces etc. but calling for fire and setting up range charts it was meters. when i was using the designated marksmen rifle it was yards hehehe.

its very american to adopt the best of what works.

8. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Ya always gotta rub it in dontcha ?:p

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You free to get to Vegas week after next? I bet I can get you in to join the Scubie, Dr. Jason and JD party. :D

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

11. willfully armed

See.... that was a joke. Take a breath. Untwist panties.

If your that quick to be butthurt by a joke, pretty sad.....
    regardless of your past endeavors.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You know an emoticon makes it much easier to take as a joke.

Will your an effing douche.

Will your an Effing Douche. :D

Big difference between the two.

13. willfully armed

Well ****... ;)

I thought that was in there.

14. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I can still see that you are just set on being an A.H. so the same still remains. Just like Tango said, there is a reason for the smilies on the right.

Instead of coming on here and saying "Whoa, dude it was joke, sorry I didn't put anything on there to show that. I didn't mean to insult you." You would rather bow your chest and try and make me out to be the bad guy...thats pretty sad if you ask me.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Darin:

Had a similar question awhile back but was looking in the $200ish range since my yardage would be 200 and under and we don't really have too many coyotes here in NJ...:)

Anyways several good recommendations I got were Vortex and Bushnell Trophy model scopes in 4x16-50. Has the power to reach out if you need it and good clear images at closer ranges with the infinite parallex objective.

I'll root around for the exact models if you're interested...

added for stupidity: Oops, should have checked the entire thread...Tango posted the above referenced models while I was waiting to hit the submit button...

16. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Thanks Pyle, no need to go to the work. I'll just search your posts and read it. Do you remember what the title was?

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Was in a PM response from Tango...he's the go-to scope guy...:D I think the models he posted in the thread are similar, just a price point or two up from where I was.

Here they are:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-c...fle-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-r...dbk-m-04p.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell...le-734120.html

18. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Great thanks.

I think I'll be looking somewhere in the 4x16 range. Now I have to find a brand.:confused:

19. powg

powg New Member

scope for ar

if a 3x9 wont do ,a 4x12 wont break the bank ...but when you go bigger ...you know the drill .good glass is expensive ...somebody at a gun show said that weaver is coming out with an ar specific 2x10 in a small package short tube ? i dont know.. but that would fill the bill ...hunting or paper sniping ...my 2 cents

20. willfully armed

I'm the badguy. Ok...sure. is there anyway for redemption, or have I been cast to hell?
    I'm sorry. You took it out of context, but I'm sorry. I did not insult you. But im sorry.
    I tried to join in on the help. But I'm sorry that I tried to rib two posters about "meters".

One last query. What does you being an ex cop have to do with it? Ill remain Joe nobody, average citizen. As nothing I've done in my employment history is at all relevant to our scuttle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.