Steel vs Brass

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by MrRecon1, May 4, 2012.

1. MrRecon1

MrRecon1 New Member

Hey guys I was looking for some advice for whether I can use steel cased ammo in my AR....I heard that brass is the best because steel damages the rifle....thanks!

2. Alwayscarrying

Alwayscarrying New Member

Steel should be fine. The you may experience FTF and FTE's with the lacquer coated stuff. Just try it and see. What are the specs on your rifle?

3. Woody

Woody New Member

Ive always been told that steel case ammo tends to break extractors and at best wears them out faster so I avoid It in my AR and semi auto handguns But my SKS eats it liked extra butter popcorn at a double feature movie lol

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I've heard that brass runs through the gun a little easier and smoother than steel, but either one should work fine.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You may indeed wear out extractors faster with steel.

BUT, if you save $50-$75 per thousand rounds on ammo cost, how many $5 extractors can you buy????:p

6. Viking

Viking Active Member

I've had one person tell me to avoid the lacquered steel cases due to residue build up in the chamber. On the other hand Silver Bear ammo steel cases are zinc plated and as well the powder seems to burn very clean. I had one round that had a pierced primer out of a box of 20. Personally I think I would just use this ammo as a last resort in case of a SHTF scenario. Mini 14 extractors are tough but I suspect that steel cases would tend to abuse them much more than brass cases.

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I use both in my AR with no problems. Most of the people who have issues with steel have tier 3 or worse guns.

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Stay away from the lacquer coated stuff. I've ran still and it works fine. I had a problem with the lacquer stuff. After about 15 rounds a live round got stuck in the chamber when I tried pulling the charging handle to eject it. Probley due to a buled up of lacquer after the first 14.

9. locutus

I've used thousands of rounds of lacquer coated ammo with no problems of any kind.

If you think the lacquer will melt, try using a blowtorch on a fired case. It will eventually burn, but not melt.

I don't know where these old wives tales about steel cased ammo came from, but they're just that. Old wives tales.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I dont know. Everything works fine even steel it's just the lacquer that gives me problems. Even if I haven't fired it and I just load up a mag and work the action it gets stuck. I got to snatch on it a few times to get it out. Maybe I should try some other brand. It has all bin the same kind of lacquer ammo.

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Probably has more to do with the gun itself than the ammo. I use to bumpfire a lot, and never had a problem with steel ammo, laquer or not. I have a feeling that some of the guns out there are .223 chambered, not 5.56, which some people will tell you are the same, but the .223 is slightly tighter, which makes for more malfunctions than any difference in ammo. My AR will shoot brass or lacquered steel just fine. My take is there are shooters out there with the .223 barrels who are having fits with their guns, and blaming it on the ammo.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well I'm not one of them my gun clearly says 5.56 on the barrel. The 5.56 has a higher presser than the .223. And the ammo I used was .223. I'm not one to usually blame the ammo but in my case there is realy no other explanation. The lacquer is extremely thick on the kind I used mush thicker than normal. That's most likely the reason.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've found that lately, I actually prefer steel cased, since I dont reload anyway.

14. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just found out by carefully measuring a round out of the same box of ammo that the lacquer was applied to thick to the casing during production. All the other lacquer ammo is fine.

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

You might be right. I have heard of a few cases slipping through that had enough lacquer to actually change the specs. I just take it with a grain of salt most of the time when someone says an AR won't shoot the stuff, cause a lot of us can shoot thousands of rounds of the stuff a day without incident. Most of the cases where someone has a problem with steel, there is a malfunction of the firearm as the root cause. Course, anyone can have a batch of bad ammo.

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I sent my m&p to s&w and had it checked and I took it to a shop close by. They all said it was the ammo. And all the other ammo lacquer or not works just fine other than that I have never had a ftf. I measured the other rounds in that box and some in another box I got at the same time and they wear to big.

17. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

There needs to be a simple sticky at the top of every sub forum dealing w/ firearms. It should simply state, STEEL CASED AMMUNITION HAS NO NEGATIVE IMPACT, STUPID.

Edit: as narrated by Randall

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  18. locutus

Several years I got into a rather heated discussion with an acquaintance about MilSurp ammo in general, and steel in particular.

After much discussion, I finally found out that his objection was that it wasn't American made, and as a good labor union man he wouldn't have any part of ammo that wasn't made by American union labor regardless of the cost.

I wonder how much of that comes into play in the discussion on these threads.:confused:

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Humm. This was not directed to me was it.

20. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Not in my case. I have more Tula than I can count. Just got a 500 round spam can of it the other day.