Steel Rounds for your AR?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by synical, Jan 4, 2012.

1. synical

synical New Member

I have seen on youtube a video about using steel rounds in a AR with a lesser barrel than 20". Something about the timing being changed due to a shorter barrel will cause the extractor to damage over time on a steel round like Wolf or something similar. And I have also heard it makes your AR or any weapon dirty. Whatever that means. Can someone explain to me is it safe to use or not. I use wolf on my SKS and its fires fine. I am looking to use cheaper ammo so if someone could shed some light on the subject for me that would be great.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes! Try them out, they're not going to hurt anything. See if your S&W likes them. My ArmaLite and Daniel Defense have no problems with them and I used steel case all the time.

3. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Steel is less resilient than brass. When a cartridge fires the pressure expands the casing against the sides of the chamber. When the pressure eases off, brass partially contracts, making extraction very easy. Steel doesn't contract. It remains expanded against the chamber walls. I've seen too many people at the range driving cleaning rods down their barrels to knock stuck casings out. Not for me. Especially when Wally World is selling American Eagle .223 for $5.97 a box of 20.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

When I can get 62 grain HP Tula for $3 and some change $6 is a lot.

I shoot Tula quite frequently. Last week I put 500 rounds of it down range is quick succession. I tend to shoot like I would if it were a defensive situation, fast. Guess what, no problems other than people complaining about the noise.

There's a problem w/ your rifle if it's not able to run steel case ammo reliably. Out of spec chambers.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have run Tula in mine and it runs great :)

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Why then all the noise about steel cased rounds? Is it something that is propagated to induce the firearms community into buying higher priced ammo? I'm not saying that you are wrong, or even that I don't believe you. I've read some of your other posts, and from those can tell you pretty well know your stuff. So having said that, why in your opinion, is there all the bad press for the steel?

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's leftover drivel from when it was coated in lacquer and people who don't know what they are talking about and those trying to shoot it out of ARs w/ out of spec chambers. Compare the ones claiming it is horrible to the ones saying it will work.

I went to grab a few boxes out of the safe and was shocked at how little I had left. I have been underestimating the amount of Tula I have been shooting. Even w/ shooting 3 gun twice a month through the summer I was able to go through a couple cases plus. I don't go out much but when I do I make a day out of it.

I will say it is not as hot as rounds like the 193 or as accurate but it functions perfectly for me. It shoots a lot softer as well which makes recoil even less. I like that a lot as it helps follow up shots.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

That does make sense, then. I assume it is non-corrosive as well? I was under the assumption that most of the "eastern bloc" ammo was cold war surplus, and have stayed away from it, no matter case material or the $$$ incentive. You said it shoots softer...my AR is a piston gun. Any issues with cycling one of those in your opinion? It is "self regulating", so I can't adjust it.

9. synical

synical New Member

ok good to know cause I have been wanting to use it but every time I go to buy some the people at the stores always tell me not too cause it will mess up my gun.... so i dont. Also is there somewhere you can find it local other than online? I have found some at a gun shop here but they want $7 a box for wolf and I am not paying that. Academy sells some but Its Monarch brand and I have never heard of it. It's 4.99 a box of 20. :D

10. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Thanks. I like you too.

11. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Where you getting this ammo from ? Hopefully online where I can order some ...

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Wolf and Tula are new manufacture. Check out Aimsurplus.

I also have a piston gun and it runs great in it as well.

Aimsurplus, $99 for 500, $189 for 1k.

I would avoid your LGS like the plague charging that for steel. They probably do the same for everything else as well.

Nothing against you, I don't even know you. The thing is steel runs in all of my ARs and those of others. I'm sure the talk had merit but not anymore.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I think everyone ELSE should stop buying steelcase ammo for their AR. Would reduce the price I have to pay! :rolleyes:

I shoot wolf in both my DI and my piston AR's, no problems.

14. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I've got 500 rounds of Wolf .223 that should be here tomorrow afternoon. Got it for $100 from AimSurplus.

As soon as I get paid, which is tomorrow, I'll probably order another 500 rounds of it, as well as 500 rounds of Wolf in 9mm.

I've run steel case in multiple weapons and haven't had a problem. If you're leery, just buy a few boxes to try it out in your weapon. When you find out it runs great, then buy bundles and bundles of it. :D

-Fred

15. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

I really don't understand some peoples hate for wolf/Tull they say it damages extractors and it's not good ammo. I personally have burnt up thousands of rounds of this ammo and I mean multiple thousands of rounds in ak-47,1911's,9mm's and never had an extractor Peter out never any kind of ammo malfunction or problems. And also no jamming I can't speak for AR-15's because I'm not a fan so I never have owned one but I can speak for wolf/Tul I trust it in any firearm I own.

16. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I did not say I hated Wolf, or any other steel cased ammo. I did not tell anyone it would not work in their guns. I did not say anyone should not use it. I simply stated that I felt it was not for me, and I stated why, based on my own personal experience. That is my opinion. You have your opinion. You are welcome to it.

Having said that, I'll move on to some place where different opinions are welcome, and the people who give them are given respect, not derision.

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I did not see where anyone has claimed you hated anything...therefore I'm not convinced he was talking about you. I could be wrong.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You hear so often Wolf/Tula is corrosive and wears out extractors but that's unfounded. It is a little dirtier and like MJ said, slightly underpowered (so it may not cycle every AR) and not as accurate. And even if it is harder on the extractor, let's say you get 4,000 rounds of extractor life instead of 8,000. Have you looked at the cost of an extractor and how easy it is to install? I'd say 8K of Wolf at 1/2 the price of cheap brass pays for a lot of extractors and cleaning kits.

Anyway, you've got nothing to lose so why not give it a try! And you don't have to look too hard to find it for 20 cents a round, what's not to like about that. Reloaders may have an argument for brass casings but if you don't reload try steel case.

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I'm gonna try it...I have a piston 5.56 and a DI AR-10. They will both see some. You guys have convinced me.

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I used Wolf Ammo (steel) for my DD. Used 480 out of 1000 so far flawlessly. And also just ordered Remington 1k rounds Brass. Cant wait to shot those ammo.

Attached Files: