steel challenge

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by chrisC78, May 26, 2012.

1. chrisC78

chrisC78 New Member

I'm planning to enter my first steel challenge competition.does anyone have any suggestions on how prepare for it?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. utf59

utf59 New Member

Dry fire practice. Dry draw + dry fire. And aim at one target first, then transition to another and dry fire.

Depending on the capacity of the gun you're shooting, (say, a 6-shot revolver) you may want to slow down just a little and be very sure of your hits. Reloads take a lot of time. :rolleyes:

Steel challenge is a lot of fun. Relax and have a great time.

ETA: Where are you shooting it?

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Right on.

Practice mentally, physically even if you don't dry fire -- go through the motions. Over and over, even if it's just with your finger. Buzzer. The draw. Keep the basics down pat. You'll feel funny saying "bang" when you think you are on target, but do it. Slow is fast!

You won't win, place or show this time. But get this first try out of the way, safely. You'll see how much fun it is and how quickly you speed up down the road, and amaze yourself...

And keep eye protection on at all times please!!!

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Listen to the Range Officer.

If you have a question on a course of fire, ask before getting into the "Ready" position.

A miss of a target adds time to your score that you will never be able to recover, so be sure to hit all.

5. chrisC78

chrisC78 New Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll have plenty of time to practice, fire season is heating up so its gonna be awhile till I can do it...when I do I'll be shooting at the sports men's park in Keno OR

6. utf59

utf59 New Member

You might also check out a blog called/by Mr. Completely. He shoots a lot of steel challenge, and he's in your general region. He writes about shooting his local matches in Puyallup, WA, which isn't that close to you, but he probably knows about a lot of the matches throughout that region. It might be worth dropping him an email or comment.

ETA: Why don't I post a link?