Steel cased ammo?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by sleeper, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Is there any reason I shouldn't put the cheap 115gr steel cased stuff through my glock for practice? I know that lead reloads are bad. Thanks

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Absolutely no reason I know of, I buy steel case 9mm every time I can find some in stock.

3. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Yes, if you want to rule out premature extractor wear. The Glock manual is silent on this, so it comes up often and is always debated. Some shooters will swear to having fired thousands of steel cased rounds with no problems. But with the east European imports you never know.

4. phillip69

phillip69 New Member

when that is what Yaeger RECOMMENDS (wpa/Wolf) and has 100,000's of tho rounds thru his, why would anyone suggest not to use it?? I use it in 21 & 30S all the time based on this recommendation. I have abt 4000 rounds thru 21 and no misfeeds.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey, if Yeager says it is OK, it is OK. ;)

I seriously doubt you will ever have an abnormal wear problem from steel cased ammo. WTS, it runs dirtier and you should pay especial attention to the chamber that you do not get any laquer/polymer build up.

6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Don't run Tula or Wolf in a Taurus PT1911 .45, Taurus will tell you your warranty is now void, even though it's not stated in they're manual to not run steel cased ammo, and charge you to ship it to them so they can look at it, with a 6-8wk turn around. They say the Russian/European steel case ammo is Inferior ammo.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I think there is a plot against steel cased ammo.:D This has provided economical shooting for the last 50 years. It is great in the winter when the snow is on the ground, just let it fly. I have a Pre-Ban Colt Sp II that has fired thousands of steel cased rounds. If the extractors failed now it would still represent a Hugh savings. :)

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I have a buddy who lights up a cigarette every time while pumping gas. A thousand times and counting, nothing ever happened.

Seriously, it comes down to personal risk tolerance. I wouldn't think twice using an issued firearm. The one I paid for, however, is a different story, with the fine touches and all. More than the price of an extractor is involved.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A lack of experience can be over come. Gun owners and shooters have gained real knowledge from use. Not from the internet or magazines. Steel case allows for a lot of economical shooting.:)

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Nitestalker
    Let's be honest, you are bitter because I called you out a couple of times, on inaccurate but forceful statements. If you want to draw attention this way again, you got it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  11. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I hear the same every now and then. I have shot enough steel in the AKs and the Mosins, because they were built for it. My Glock and SIG - they are training/bullseye guns. Asked Massda Ayoob for one. He repeated what he has always written, he believes in western made quality semiautos steel cases are best avoided.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

"He repeated what he has always written, he believes in {Western made quality semiauto steel cases} are best avoided" There has to be a message in there:confused:

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I do not shoot steel cased ammo in anything but 7.62 X 39. WTS, Who the heck is "Massada Ayoob"? Is he related to Massad Ayoob?

Steel cased ammo in most pistols will not harm them. It IS akin to running 87 octane in your C-6 Corvette.

14. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There's absolutely nothing wrong with running steel cased ammo through a pistol or rifle.

If a manufacturer tells you it voids the warranty, it's probably best to look for a better quality pistol or rifle because there's nothing about the construction of the cartridges that should cause a premature failure of any kind, provided they are correctly dimensioned and don't produce pressure levels above specifications for the cartridge.

The hardened steel in the extractor should not have any problems with the slightly harder than brass steel cases. If the extractor does have a problem with steel cases, it's indicative of poor extractor design, machining, or metallurgy.

If you're like me, you buy spare parts for your guns and when the parts wear out, irrespective of when that happens, you replace them. The cost of an extra extractor or two is peanuts compared to the cost of ammo.

The powders that they use in the eastern bloc steel cased ammo make cleaning the residue out a more frequent task. So what? Do you want to shoot your guns or admire them? Personally, I like shooting them.

I've run quality American made ammo in commie guns and the cheapest Russian ammo I could get my hands on in American made guns. After thousands and thousands of rounds, neither has produced a problem of any kind. Buy what you like, but if you're not a government-sponsored shooter, money is generally a limitation and that's why many of us use steel cased ammo.

15. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I don't see you having serious problems with steel case ammo if ur running a glock. Glock barrels r made from 416 stainless steel so it's very well protected from corrosive damage or rust.. I would steal clean the hell out of your glock after using steel case ammo tho. Just in case:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, I read on the internet that shooting it is perfectly safe for you & your gun so it has to be true--end of story ;)

And yes I buy the snot out of it & shoot the snot out of it :cool:

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hornady is selling steel cased ammo under their own name and a lot of it is match. I dont think Hornady would risk damaging their reputation with a bad product. I would not buy Tulammo though. The little I did buy was extremely poor quality with a lot of ftf's. Wolf was OK and Silver bear was better than Wolf. I have not shot that much steel but I would use it if I did not reload. I clean my guns every time I shoot so it is not going to be an extra chore. I dont have any fancy guns to worry about. I lean towards SUV's rather than Corvettes.

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

That may be the thing. Not just steel because it is steel, but because of where it (mostly) comes from. The likes of Tulammo are practically synonymous with steel, but there is Hornady too. I have used it with no problems, just never felt the need because they are priced like domestic ammo.

19. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I still shoot steel cased Tula, just not in a Taurus and never will again, cause I refuse to own another Taurus. Fed my Glock 22 180gr Tula, 300 rounds of it, still worked when I traded it.

20. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I've never had a FTF from Tulammo, and as far as I'm concerned, if you've messed with Mosin's, and it's shot ammo, then at one time or another you've shot the "inferior" ammo.