Steel cased ammo - confused

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by DP03, Dec 10, 2013.

1. DP03

DP03 New Member

Apologize if this is a stupid question. I read the posted "myths of steel cased ammo" in hopes of an answer, but I need someone to explain this.

My local indoor range asked to see my AK ammo last time in, and all I had with me was steel cased Tula. They held a magnet to it, and of course it stuck. They said they have a new rule of no magnetic ammo due to it being too hard on their backstops.

Last time I checked my casings don't go downrange. What am I missing??? Do the projectiles themselves in steel cased rounds contain something different??

Thanks.

2. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Yes some bullets are steel that is copper washed. Idk if most steel cased ammo is like this but all the 762x54r i have is copper washed steel bullets.

3. DP03

DP03 New Member

Ok, that makes sense as to their concern. Thank you.

4. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

5. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I got the same treatment at a local pistol range when shooting comblock ammo in my CZ82. So I asked them to at least put up a sign notifying the customers of that rule.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A lot of the steel cased ammo uses some iron alloy for a jacket, because it is cheeper to produce than copper jackets. It is mild steel, but it can indeed be a bit harder on backstops and the snail shell bullet traps at indoor ranges. They can also cause some sparking that they don't like.

Folks used to try the magnet test to prove that steel penetrator cores were in the com-block ammo. It doesn't really prove anything when there is a steel jacket thta they magnet will stick to. Some ranges just don't want steel cased ammo mixed in with all of their brass that they like to steel, or uh, I mean, keep for recycling or reloading. Though a big magnet makes it easy to sort.

7. DP03

DP03 New Member

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense.

I have other ammo, but I have a ton of Tula too. Gotta find a way to use it now. I'm joining an outdoor range in the spring.....hopefully I can use it there.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The sinister truth here is it is more about their bottom line than their backstops. Many indoor ranges make more money selling the brass than they do renting their space. Steel cases are worthless. Brass cases are worth $ to the range operators.

9. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yea, and another possible ulterior motive might be the sale of new ammo. The first thing the guy did when he failed the ammo was whip out ammo from them I could use. I declined, as I had other firearms to shoot, but I'm sure they are selling some as a result.

10. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I agree. Some ranges do allow it, you just need to call around.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

That's all she wrote, the rest is BS. Aluminum cased commercial ammo like Blazer is not allowed for the same reason.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you only have brass and steel cased ammo the steel hulls can be removed with a magnet. If you put aluminum in the mix, the aluminum has to be picked out by hand.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

When you open a range, I'll be there with a brick of Wolf :D

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have a friend with land that lives "out in the sticks" you may want to approach them about setting up a private range on their land. As payment for helping with harvests and plantings my family and I get paid in the form of a couple hundred acres to hunt on, and access to a 250 yard private rifle range on one of the properties. We have use of a 25 yard pistol range on the other, right off the owner's back porch. Hauling hay and helping with the livestock works out to be less than the memberships at the ranges and clubs in our area, and we are not told "You can't fire that here."

Although, we are sometimes told we can't fire that until after I get to. :D

So very true. I stopped going to one indoor range when i was told that I could not pick up my own brass, and carry it out with me. I put it back in the box after shooting so I have an idea of how many components I will have to order when I it is time to restock my supplies, and if I carried it in I an d@mn well going to carry it out with me. The RO told me it was an "unwritten" agreement with all of their members, and that if I wish to remain a member I will do as i am told.

I will not post what I told him to do to himself, and his club. I was raised with better manners than that. ;) Needless to say, I no longer am affiliated with that particular club. Kind of sucks though. They had a killer "Hogan's Alley type Pistol range there.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I (we ) have a few boxes of S&B 38 RN's that somehow became Magnatized. Same thing. Can't shoot em at our indoor range..