Steel Case Ammo in the Ruger American

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by John_Deer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Has anyone tried steel case ammo in their Ruger American. Even with the ammo shortage I can get 308 ammo at pre-panic prices. The Ruger American is looking like the best price point gun on the market. Ruger does not mention steel case ammo in the owners manual.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The extraction tool is not that expensive. I might get two when I make an order. So far I have had 0 problems from brown bear in my mosin nagant. It's not like the mosin nagant has the most uniform chamber around. It's true the brown bear is not as accurate as winchester ammo. But no one else makes a 203 gr SP for the mosin. I would rather have a larger group on paper with a large expanding bullet than a tight group with a light FMJ.

4. bobbywy

bobbywy New Member

I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308 I bought last fall. I found some cheap TulAmmo then and fired a couple of boxes to see how it worked Vs brass rounds. Accuracy so, so. No issues with extraction.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Priv makes a 203 grain soft point brass case too.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

John_Deer, I can not see the steel case harming your gun. You might want to check the bullets with a magnet to see if the bullets are also steel. Steel bullets wear the bore much faster than nonferrous bullets.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The magnet test is not fool proof on bullets. Many European bullets are jacketed in Cupro Nickle. This is magnetic, but not harmful to the bore.

8. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I shoot Tula steel cased ammo in my mosin nagants. Its pretty good ammo in my opinion. Its reasonably accurate and clean but I avoid shooting steel cased ammo in my semi auto and honestly probably wouldnt shoot it in my other bolt action guns.

9. kytowboater

Anyone with the ruger American have issues with being able to remove the bolt without depressing the bolt release button? I can work the action and it will release the bolt.

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

$$$$$$$$ not cheap :O

11. kytowboater

Last time I bought it was $14.00 for 20 IIRC.

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

My bad. I was thinking the s&b match loads for $28/20

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hornady is producing steel cased match loads. I shot some of them in a Savage 308 and they were pretty good. I bought some Tula in 7.62x39 and found the primer depth to be inconsistent. A soft strike would not set them off when the primers were deep. I had good results with Wolf and Silver Bear.

14. kytowboater

Bump about this issue.

15. kytowboater

16. JamesC

JamesC New Member

.308 ammo steel vs brass

hey everyone. just so you know I had just picked up a Ruger .308. I love this rifle. I had put 40 brass FMJs down range and it worked like a dream. But after the rifle had cooled down and I switch to the costless ammo "steel case ammo" I wont name brands. the steel ammo case became jammed after 7 rounds. it seems that the steel heading seems to becomes to wide and locks the bolt closed. only way to remove the case is to use a long rod down the barrow to lightly tap it open. after we was able to get to the case out and looking more closer at it. the range master and I seen where it was stripping against the rifle.

so back to your question. under personal exp, spend the $1.20 for brass cased ammo and save yourself the pain.

17. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Cupronickel is NOT magnetic so will not stick to a magnet. Also I don't think it is used for bullet jackets anymore.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupronickel

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I don't use steel cases period. But then again I have never been in a situation where I didn't have a choice.

19. bobbywy

bobbywy New Member

I have used wolf and TulAmmo steel cases in my Ruger 308 in the past. Have had no issues with extraction. Results so so. Like you I love the Ruger Am. Rifle. Just wish I could find some decent ammo to shoot in it now.