Steel ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lbwar15, Apr 1, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Havent got to shoot my ar but I was checking on how well it cycles. It has no problem with brass ammo. But when using steel it was hard to pull the charging handle to eject the round. My chamber is Crome lined. I'm thanking just a good cleaning and lubing should fix it. It was my uncles gun before I got it. He said he has put over 500 rounds of still through it with no problem. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Out of spec chamber, not lubed properly, just needs the chamber scrubbed, or all three.

This topic has been covered countless times. A search would turn up all the answers you need.

This should be interesting.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Ok thanks I know it's not out of spec I know steel has Ben ran through it with out a problem before.

4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

You might look at the extractor. Either way, like MJ said, I think it is your gun.

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Wouldn't happen to be Golden Bear, would it? Been hearing of problems shooting it and causing extraction issues.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You might want to take a gauge/ reamer to it. You'd be surprised just how many manufacturer's barrels would fail.

7. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Here is the problem with steel case ammunition: When the charge is fired the case expands to create a seal against the chamber wall to minimize blowback around the case. With brass case, the brass case is soft and contracts so it can be ejected. With steel, the case is much harder and does not contract as easy. It takes a little more effort to eject a steel case than a brass case.

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I wasn't shooting it. I was just racking rounds through it and it was hard to pull the charging handle with steel.

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Not my gun just needed a good wipe down. I literally just got home from shooting it. It did fine with brass and steel. And the steel was tcw.