Steel ammo what does it do to the gun?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by synical, Jul 5, 2011.

1. synical

synical New Member

I have been looking for some cheap ammo just to stock up on and also just for target practice. I see that Steel is cheap but I have heard bad things about it. As such being that it can make your gun jam and very dirty and also is not very good for it. What is everyone's opinion on this and do you know where to get cheap bulk ammo in .223? Thanks for the help! :D

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe it works OK on some AR's, but the only person i know who tried it had a lot of jams & a lot of cleaning to do afterwords. He then swore it off. His rifle was a DPMS.

3. synical

synical New Member

yeah I have heard its crap all the way around. I have a S&W but I am sure it reacts the same on all AR's.

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Its dirty as heck with AR-15s. I swore it off after 100 rounds. Jammed solid... S&W lower, Daniel Defense upper, LMT bolt carrier.

These are some spent cases, imagine what my chamber looked like...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

its fine if you got a chrome lined chamber. a chrome lined bore to go with the chrome lined chamber is even better. the lining on the chamber will keep the cases from sticking which is why some folks have issues others dont. accuracy is not good it is exceedingly dirty so be prepaired in having some of those very long gas tube pipe cleaners on hand. a chromed bolt to go with the above is really icing on the cake. AR bolts, bolt parts, and barrels arent that pricey so extra wear isnt a real big issue.

i wouldnt run it through a NM barrel or an AR barrel you care about.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I strongly disagree. I mostly use steel through my LWRC, DD, etc. as fast as allowed w/o problems. All my ARs past present and future will be fed a continuous diet of steel cased bi-metal ammo. As many of you have read I don't follow the strictest of cleaning regiments either. Hell, I even run a mix of both brass and steel throughout the day w/o problems.

Dont be scared of the steel ;)

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I run the steel case russian through both the mini14 and ak74 with no defects. Bit more cleaning afterwards but no failures.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My Colt LE6940 eats Wolf and Golden Bear with no problems.

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I'm the ammo snob. I wouldn't run that veal in any of my guns. Then again I look for the best accuracy so I roll my own.

For plinking I would think it wouldn't be that bad just watch for build up in the chamber.

10. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

My 580 series mini EATS Wolf, nary a problem of any sort....

Attached Files:

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

As long as it doesnt eat your toes ;)

12. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have a S&W that I purchased new and has chewed thousands of rounds of steel. Tula, wolf, herters ect all with out any failures to speak of. I clean mine but I am not anal about it every time. They get a once over and a bore cleaning after each trip , every two or three trips they get a chamber brush.

I have a stag, S&W, old Bushy upper, Colt H-bar and YHM and they all chew it with out a problem.

If you want tight groups then go with some good ammo but for putting holes in paper its fine IMO

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

So am I the only one who effin hates Tula?? WTF!

14. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

No I doubt you are the only one lol If my gun wouldnt eat it then I would stay away from it too. But for the price I would give it a shot and see if it would function reliably.

I my self can't see paying an extra $2-4 bucks per 20rds for putting holes in paper. Sure I keep plenty of good Lake City brass ( and some others like winchester) on hand for shtf but i aint gonna waste it on paper targets if my rifle likes the steel.

What was the AR you got DPMS ?

15. luan87us

luan87us New Member

I guess with these russian ammo it's just hit and miss. If you're lucky you will get a good batch and shoot it without any problem but if you're unlucky like most of the ar15 owners out there you get a bad batch and it will keep failing on you lol. It's like buying knock off china products. Sometime it works most time it doesn't.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I don't believe its the ammo as much as it is the weapon and operator.

Its not the case for "most". There are quite a lot of guys putting enormous amounts of steel a year through their ARs plinking and/or in classes.

Sometimes its a buffer weight, chamber, etc. problem. I have noticed a lot of people who claim to have problems w/ steel ammo usually are shooting ARs know to have issues w/ any ammo.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No problems in both my ARs, so 3/4 of what I use is cheap steel case. Interestingly enough one AR is a Daniel Defense upper and S&W lower. My ArmaLite upper has a fairly large chamber so the steel case comes out dirty (not as much as your picture though) but it's quite clean out of the tighter DD chamber.

18. synical

synical New Member

so for target practice steel is ok?

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I have a feeling my problem with the steel ammo is my barrel. Its an Olympic Arms .223 bull barrel. The tolerances in the chamber might have been too tight along with not enough gas being produced by the .223? Brand new barrel? I used a higher quality brass cased ammo to break the barrel in then switched to the Tula. Or maybe I just got the worst batch with too much case lube?

Either way, I'm in no hurry to snatch anymore steel case ammo anytime soon. I shoot my AR from a bench rest 90% of the time anyways and like Tango, I like some accurate ammo :cool:

20. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Its not going to hurt your rifle enough for you to notice. Get some and try it out, whats the worse that can happen? Just make sure when you buy the ammo, get a new can of Break Free because your going to use a lot.