Stay away from Tul-Ammo!!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by orlando_marquez, Mar 18, 2014.

1. orlando_marquez

orlando_marquez New Member

Tula-Ammo damaged my Sig P220!!

I had used Tula-Ammo a few times before, very dirty and questionable ammo. I figured ocassional range drills with it would be ok. UNTIL one FMJ stopped mid-barrel. The 2nd round fired and caused heavy damag to my barrel. "Barrel bulge" was the result and although I did everything I could, it had to get sent in to a Sig gunsmith. $449 later, I had a new barrel and some minor damage repaired. I have used Tula-Ammo on AR-15 and every 2 or 3 rounds the gun jammed. Fed my regular Remington's in it and no feeding problems. I am staying away from using this ammo again... cheap to buy but it results in too costly repairs.

Sent from my Winchester 1300 Defender using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. orlando_marquez

I had used Tul-Ammo a few times before, very dirty and questionable ammo. I figured ocassional range drills with it would be ok. UNTIL one FMJ stopped mid-barrel. The 2nd round fired and caused heavy damag to my barrel. "Barrel bulge" was the result and although I did everything I could, it had to get sent in to a Sig gunsmith. $449 later, I had a new barrel and some minor damage repaired. I have used Tul-Ammo on AR-15 and every 2 or 3 rounds the gun jammed. Fed my regular Remington's in it and no feeding problems. I am staying away from using this ammo again... cheap to buy but it results in too costly repairs.

Attached Files:

3. orlando_marquez

Stay away from Tul-Ammo!

I had used Tul-Ammo a few times before, very dirty and questionable ammo. I figured ocassional range drills with it would be ok. UNTIL one FMJ stopped mid-barrel. The 2nd round fired and caused heavy damag to my barrel. "Barrel bulge" was the result and although I did everything I could, it had to get sent in to a Sig gunsmith. $449 later, I had a new barrel and some minor damage repaired. I have used Tul-Ammo on AR-15 and every 2 or 3 rounds the gun jammed. Fed my regular Remington's in it and no feeding problems. I am staying away from using this ammo again... cheap to buy but it results in too costly repairs.

Attached Files:

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would have thought that if a bullet gets lodged in the barrel, the round would not have sounded "normal"

This can happen with any ammo. I have had that happen with Federal that was not stored correctly or properly.

The key is to stop shooting when you hear or feel something strange. Don't try to dislodge such a bullet with another.

Did the casing eject properly?

5. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I am beginning to embrace the idea that Russian ammo in Russian guns is ok. My experience with Russian steel case ammo in my AR is a disaster. It is no fun trying to remove a well-stuck case from an assembled gun. This happened with my Olympic AR and will not be tried in my Colt AR.

6. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Dude you just violated the language filter in your title sorry bout your sig though

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

well not to make light of the $$ you had to spend but I must say all things considered, this could have ended worse........

8. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

That's right, I have had this happen to me before also, when you fire a rd and it sticks in the barrel,the sound will be different, like day and night.

However, I do not have faith in TUL ammo or any of that cheap mexican ammo.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have experienced two squibs in my life. One was an American Eagle 357 mag. The other was a Remington 30/06 round. Neither shell had any powder at all in it. The 357 bullet actually hit the target with just the primer at 10 yards.

Neither squib sounded normal. Almost anyone except the OP would have stopped shooting. The squib in the 30/06 was very easy to clear.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I feel bad for you but it is sorta tiresome to see the same post in like 4 forums.

11. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Never had any trouble out of Tulammo, it's Tula ammo, Tula being the Russian Arm's and Ammo factory that has produced Mosin's and ammunition for a LONG time.

I've shot at least 500rnds of Tula in different caliber's through all kinds of guns and never had a problem with it in any firearm I've used it in, it even worked in a Glock 22 that was converted to 9x19mm with a Lonewolf Barrel, and they say to use +P at least to get it to sync together just right, still worked.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

when you have a squib which is what happened, why i shoot 99% of the time ammo i load myself, you should check the barrel when it goes click or a light pop no recoil. just loading in another round and getting after it again results in bulged barrels.

ive heard of remington ammo doing this far more than ive heard of tula doing it. but its all factory ammo and suspect in my book to begin with.

glad it didnt kaboom on ya and it was repairable.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Note from Mod- Understand you are unhappy- I would not be thrilled myself.

However- keep it to one thread. I cleaned up your title.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Sucks about that bulge. I hear more about Tula being dirty than about other problems with it.

When did Winchester get into the cellular phone game?

15. danf_fl

This is posted in two areas.
    When I saw it in the general handgun area, I answered.

OP, please do not post the same thing in two areas. If you post in the incorrect area, a mod can move it for you.
    By posting in two areas, one has to flip-flop to read all responses.

16. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Tul has never gave me problems in my glock's or AK's, you got the one in 100,000, as everyone has stated listen and feel when you shoot, a squib will stand out when you get one.

17. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I feel like a stoppage like that could happen with any factory ammo. I have a few hundred rounds of tulla. Maybe ill sell it? Although, I do know guys that run tulla rifle and pistol ammo who have had no problems in thousands of rounds.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

18. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

All threads related to "Tula ammo discussion have been merged into one

19. danf_fl

I carry a cleaning rod with me to the range (I've had enough squibs loads to know).

The only time I've seen a bulge appear is when the shooter continued shooting without checking if there was a problem.

IF the round acted different than normal, why was there an additional shot fired?

20. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Why do people spend big money on a fine firearm then shoot the cheapest ammo they can find? Never understood this logic.