States that don't allow centerfire rifles for big game

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by bobwills, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bobwills

bobwills New Member

Howdy. Is there a LIST of states that do not allow centerfire rifles for big game hunting? I wish to consider big game hunting in some other states, but I will not consider them if I can't use my centerfire rifles. I will only spend my money(licenses, guides, gas, food, lodging, etc) in states that allow centerfire rifle hunting. There seems to be many northern or other states that don't allow centerfire rifles!!!

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Entire states or certain areas of the states? I know in parts of VA, no rifle hunting at all, while others are fine to hunt with them. Might need to break it down to counties and such before you would completely write off an entire state.

Unless its NY, IL or CA of course, they just suck....

Oh, and please, make your way over to the intro section and introduce yourself.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So there are states that only allow rimfires for big game hunting? :confused:

4. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Shotgun only, no rifle. But that is a certain county between Richmond and DC here, and I am sure there are a couple others. Reason being, they are afraid a high power rifle round will end up going in someones house.......:confused::confused:

5. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Mississippi has centerfire rifle. we also have single shot breech loading cartridge guns with smokeless powder during primitive weapons and prolly more deer per capita than any other state.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Ah, thanks. I've only hunted in a few states, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas all allow centerfire.

7. steve666

steve666 New Member

Indiana allows only pistol caliber rifles for deer hunting. The next biggest game are pigs, then rabbits.

8. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

Iowa is a shotgun, handgun or muzzleloader only state. You can hunt the bottom two tiers of counties with a high-power, but only for a certain doe season. I don't think you'd want to spend money to come shoot a doe.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bro, your best shot (pun intended) is to make a list of states you are considering, and then internet search their state game comission regulations- they vary a GREAT deal. F'rinstance, PA does not permit use of semi autos. Virginia has some (flatland) areas that are shotgun/buckshot only, some states require straight walled pistol cartridge type rifles (44 mag, etc)

10. bobwills

bobwills New Member

Thanks! I was thinking about the midwest US, but guess that I will need to make a list and see what the deal is.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So really the question has to do with shotgun vs. rifle vs. handgun, not so much with centerfire vs. rimfire. Thus my previous question. The OP stated centerfire.....well, technically, all those listed in the responses are centerfire.

12. bobwills

bobwills New Member

I should clarify, centerfire as in rifles. My apologies.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You can come to NH and hunt w/ centerfires in the top 2/3rds. We have some monster whitetail. If you have a license from the previous year, and a current one you can enter the Moose lottery. Tons of Black bear. You should see our Coyotes. They are a cross w/ the Quebec wolf. 65lb, not a problem. 45lb is the norm. Better bring appropriate clothing. We can get white out conditions in late October.

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I can't believe you forgot MA. No hunting with a rifle.

15. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

They at least make the Colt there.....I give them a pass. :D

16. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Michigan has boundraies for whitetail for rifle vs. shotgun use

17. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Michigan has boundraies for whitetail for rifle vs. shotgun use

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Try driving into Mass w/ a rifle. Your gonna be pissed! Colt BTW is made in Conn., not Mass. . S&W are in Mass.

On Ma. gun laws. 1 year jail time for any firearm not registered in Ma.

I went to a shoot a number of years ago in NY. I was pulled over, why because I was still wearing my shooting shirt. We had taken 2 cars. The State trooper wanted to take our rifles, even though we had the info on the shoot and we could transport through the commonwealth. We had put the bolts in one car, and the rest in mine. Since none was a working rifle, he took my .308 ammo. About 500 rounds. I hate that Commonwealth w/ a passion. Nothing but liberals and @ssholes.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  19. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

God bless it.......WRONG FIREARM MAKER GOOBER!!!! :p

I was talking to myself there..

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

In Ky you can use any centerfire rifle .224 and bigger. In. has pistol caliber only rifle hunting. Oh, IL, and Iowa all are no rifle zones as to the best of my knowledge.