State to State Laws

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by michaelo, Apr 8, 2007.

1. michaelo

michaelo New Member

I am a Texas CHL license holder. I would like to know if I need to pre-check per state if I can carry while there or can I carry nationwide?

2. illusion11

illusion11 New Member

You gotta check the state laws. You definitely can't go nationwide without checking the specific laws of the state you are going. Some states are pretty strict

3. rickwillis

rickwillis New Member

Anyone know about carrying in Mexico and Canada?

4. 9mmHP

9mmHP New Member

Yes, don't try it.

5. dtroyb

dtroyb New Member

"Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States"
    Great book that will tell you all you need to know, make sure you get the current edition.
    Some states will honor your permit and you can carry just like your home state, others will not honor you permit and then you have to follow the laws of that state as if you have no permit. The laws vary so much from state to state that carry can get pretty complicated.

Mexico has a total wepons ban for civilians. Getting caught with a stray round of ammo in your trunk can get you thrown in the hole. Then it's time to start bribing your way out of jail.

6. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Not entirely true. While Mexico has very tight gun control laws civilians can own firearms. As a foreign national however you would not be alowed to bring any ammunition or firearms with you across the border without special clearance. Such permits are usually granted for hunting, however CCW is possible in Mexico if you can demostrate the need for a permit (hard to do, think California). Pistol calibers are limited to .380 and smaller for automatics, and .38 or smaller for revolvers. Any rifles in military calibers are off limits.

Canada AFAIK has no provisions for CCW, and like Mexico as a foreigner you would need to obtain authorization to transport arms across the border.

While that sounds like a good book I wouldnt make it my sole source of information. If you have any doubts as to the legalities regarding CCW in a state call the State Police of that state before you travel. They can tell you if your permit is valid in thier state, as well as answer any other questions you may have. The problem with books is that they may not reflect the current laws.

7. dtroyb

dtroyb New Member

"Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States"
    has all the contact info for the state attorney generals office etc. I'm not hocking this book I just happen to know that it's a great resource.

Firearms possession in Mexico is theoretically possible, yes. I was speaking in practical terms. It is basically impossible to get the permit unless you have a lot of money and the right political connections.
    New York City technically has concealed carry provisions, too but try to find somebody with the permit.

If you are going hunting in Mexico it is best to make provisions for a guide who can supply the rifle, the ammo and the proper permits. That way he takes all the responsibility.

8. GUNGIRL

GUNGIRL New Member

You can carry here in Colorado

9. Declaration Day

Declaration Day New Member Supporter

Here's a good resource for information about state CCW laws and reciprocity: www.packing.org

Join the forum at your own risk; I left a few years ago due to immaturity and personal attacks. I don't know if things have improved.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  10. teknoid

teknoid New Member

11. Praetorian

Praetorian Guest

go to this link http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

it gives you all the states and their reciprocity. Also, you can apply for a non-resident permit for many states and it isnt difficult, and if you get Utah Florida and Arizona you pretty much have most of the US, different states honor different permits, I have WA, MA, RI, CT, NH, FL, and AZ, Vermont doesnt require a permit.

12. Praetorian

Praetorian Guest

Not too sure about Mexico, but I know carrying firearms across the border is not permitted, and personally, I wouldnt travel to Mexico if you paid me so you would have to contact their immigration and talk to them. Canada is a little weird, they dont permit firearms, but you can still bring them, you just cant carry them. In Canada firearms fall under restricted and prohibited. There are exceptions made for long rifles for people crossing the border for hunting, but there are rules and restrictions you must abide by. Pistols and handguns all fall under prohibited and restricted, but you can receive a temporary permit to bring the weapon into the country, and then apply for a permit to own, the thing in Canada, is even with a permit to own, you are not allowed to carry at all. Canada does not have a concealed carry license, and the only way for someone to have a weapon on their person or in their vehicle is to 1 be an LEO, or two, be a member of a shooting club on your way to a shooting event, or 3 be a collector with a license on your way to or from a show or a location of purchase. obtaining ammo and firearms in Canada is like finding a virgin whore, nearly impossible. Canadian Customs and Immigration should be contacted before you attempt to transport a prohibited or restricted firearm into the country. I can get you a link if you need it, have it from when I did it, but i would have to dig it up.

13. Praetorian

Praetorian Guest

stay away from packing.org, i used to fequent that site but there is too much BS going on with the guys who run that site, a better site with more accurate and updated info is http://www.ccrkba.org

14. Grapeshot

Grapeshot New Member

Want state to state laws go to http://www.packing.org/state/ for complete up to date info.

15. fireman69

fireman69 New Member

Even http://www.ccrkba.org needs to be updated. August 15, 2006??? At least http://handgunlaw.us/ has my state (Nebraska) listed as a "shall issue" instead of "right denied" state.

You might want to contact the Attorney General of the states you plan to visit to see about reciprocity and more importantly since it varies from state to state, what places are prohibited and whether you need to inform LEOs if you're carrying and get pulled over. Nebraska law says I have to inform but not all states require that but I know I'd inform a LEO anyway. Just a courtesy.

I took a trip to Montana, South Dakota, Utah, and Idaho and all the AGs responded to my emails and were quite helpful and really put my mind at ease about breaking any unknown law or rules and regulations.

Fireman

16. westernamerican

westernamerican New Member

I vote for www.packing.org as being by far the best site to check state laws!

17. Spartan

Spartan New Member

canada and mexico and reciprocity from texas

someone asked about mexico, i dont go south, so not too sure, i hear its in your better interests not to even try. canada is a little funny, but you can get permits to carry, they are hard, and you have to be in a shooting club or a collector and even then they are not concealed carry permits they are only transport permits, in a lock box to the range for the sporting event. you can get temporary permits to have the weapon at your place of residence if you are visiting, but thats about it. as for packing.org, used to use that site quite a bit, a lot of useful info, but they dont update anymore like they used to and there was apparently some sort of falling out between a bunch of the guys that ran it so now its kind of a mess, for up to date info on reciprocity, etc, you can also check www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

18. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Reciprocity with Texas

By the way, dont carry anywhere other then AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, DE, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MS, MO, MT, NM, NC, ND, PA, SD, TN. UT, VT, VA, and WY, with your Texas Permit, plan your trips accordingly. Those are the only states that accept a Texas permit to carry, also, if Texas is your state of residence, and the permit is a resident permit, then you can also carry in FL, MI, and SC. Like I said, plan your trips accordingly, you have a wide variety to choose from