Starting out

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by blueshield67, Mar 15, 2012.

1. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

I'm trying to get started in gunsmithing but unfortunately where I live at the only two schools around are online schools. What I wanna know is how good are online gunsmith programs and is there a better route?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you are looking for relatively cheap. Penn foster has a good starter program. It will give you a knowledge base to start from. If you can afford it the sonoran desert institute has a more advanced program that includes hands on projects and you can then further your studies with their associates in firearms tech program. You might be able to find an nra armourers course in your area. If possible look for an apprenticeship. Nothing beats a brick and mortar school if you have the $60k. Any of the other correspondance courses are just bs. Agi does have great videos to pick up on the side.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

If you go to one of those schools how much would you make a year. For me its either a cop or a gunsmith

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You would still need an apprenticeship unless you opened a dealership and just swapped parts.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sonoran deserts classes would open you up to make decent money. If you are interested in making money you should go for something else. If you are passionate about working on guns and can wait to developed your skills and business before really making money then go for gunsmithing.

6. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

Where can you get information for the Sonoran deserts program? I've looked for it but can't find it online.

7. blueshield67

blueshield67 New Member

I found it and that is an awesome program even has hands on training. Appreciate the help.

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Gunsmithing does have its perks right, like dirt cheap guns, do your own gunsmithing and you can get into competitive shooting right?

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can take advantage of some discounts and you make connections that can make it easier to find things. Doesn't really have anything to do with competitive shooting unless your doing the mods for people.

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

O...how can I I get into competitive shooting, cause I also have an intrest in that

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

See if there are any local gun clubs in your area. They usually have private and public competitions and connections to state and national comps.

12. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

And with those you can win badass guns and money right

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can assuming you can beat the competition. There are some great shooters out there

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

No question about mu skill

ForumRunner_20120315_200640.jpg

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Very nice. Id say you could win some. Not questioning your abilities just saying there are some amazing shooters out there. I've seen guys that can put every shot inside the x at 100 yds.

16. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

get good and enter.

17. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I would assume you are an NRA member. Just look in the back of the magazine to see shoots in your area.

18. krzywolf

krzywolf New Member

Sonoran deserts program , I took that program and u get more tools and a rifle stick to learn to finish and learn checkering on but other than that, that is all the hands on u get and the books u get have a lot of information but not a lot of diagrams and most of the pictures are black and white and have a arrow pointing to the part they are talking about. I will say if u don't know much about guns then u will learn things that u didn't learn. But if u have any questions just shoot me a pm and will give more info. Hope that helps u some.

Mike