Starting my new job next week

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Aug 28, 2009.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

So I the other day I get an email telling me that I can no longer work out of the office I'm currently in and I have to work out of our corporate office. This coming not 8 weeks after I asked to work at my current location, moving my family, my wife landing a job teaching in a local school and they want me to commute 95 miles one way, 5 days a week. My wife was HOT!!! She was more upset then I was. I played with it for a few days and today was the last straw, I told them I would work til the end of the day but I was quiting and they told me to hit the door so I did.
    I start my new job, restoring Broncos and doing fab work on Monday. The guy I help with Broncos has a paint/body guy that needs some help and my dad also needs help. Gent's I am getting paid to work with talented men and learn every single aspect of car restoration. Bronco guy = sheet metal work, fabrication. My dad = anything and everything drivetrain. Paint/body guy = do I really need to explain??
    I already know some of this stuff but I can learn a great deal from all of these men with hands on experience and they are all willing to pay me to do it. I'm excited, just thought I'd share. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Kimber to clean....

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really awesome news Spitty! I know you have been unhappy there at your former job for quite a while.

Congratulations....

But, uh, does that mean we won't be seeing as much of you around these parts now?? :eek::confused:

JD

3. Kain

Kain Member

Very good! Hope you enjoy it.

I had to get out of the automotive business because I got burned out. I was more in a maintnance/repair section of the business but custom work should be fun. Just don't be surprised if the work is a bit thin. All the custom shops around here have seen a drastic decline in work, and several have closed entirely. Doing something that you enjoy definitely makes working much easier and if you have another income to help out you have a bit less stress about your paycheck. Congratulations and enjoy!

4. spittinfire

I probably will be in and out. Currently I'm working 3-4 days a week, sometimes 5. It's OK though, I'm getting paid more so I actually bring home the same in 3 days as I have been in 5(insurance has been running my life). When I'm working, I wont be here as much but when I'm off I should be around. Hunting season is opening soon so I will be doing as much hunting as possible on my days off. Oddly enough, my wife supports this. It's very relaxing for me and it brings home meat, she likes meat(leave it alone pervs). I feel another thread coming....

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Honestly, it sounds like the old job didn't really value employees; that is a good reason to move on for a skilled/educated worker, IMO.

Congrats!

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hot Digidy Dog! Good for you and the wife Spitty. I know you have been unhappy where you were at. You gotta do what you love and sounds like ya are doing both, cars and the wife! Congrats Bro! :D :D

Jack

7. spittinfire

You're dead on with that one. They didn't give a rats behind about any of their employees. Nevermind that I earned them between double and tripple my salary ever month.

LOL....yes, yes I am.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Spitty, I know what that feeling of weight lifting off your shoulders is like! Enjoy it and celebrate it with the Mrs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Spit, congrats! Life is waaayyy too short to spend 1/3 of it doing stuff you don't like. Better for health and peace of mind as well. :D

10. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Congrats. Do what you love. It will make life a lot easier...

11. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Congrats. Hope you enjoy your new job doing body and that the word stress doesn't cross your mind.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

Congrats Spit,
    It's great when your able to do something you enjoy and makie a living at it.

13. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

[​IMG]

Wait....what? :confused:

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

You are a luck man, Spitty!! Have fun and post some pics! (of the Broncos)

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sorry about the hassle, but it sounds like it's going to work out way better. Congrats.

16. spittinfire

Started yesterday and actually had fun at work for once. I'd much rather spend my days working with sheet metal and learning fabrication skills then behind a computer. The down side is that I won't be here as much. Probably a few minutes in the morning and little bit in the evenings. Have fun guys. Anything comes up that I need to address, send me a PM.

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Good deal and congrats! Now does this mean we all get discounts on major restoration work, kinda like "OverHaulin'" ? :D

18. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Glad your enjoying you job sir. Makes the day go faster.

19. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Congrats! It's sounds like fun... I wish I could get a job over there.
    The most important part is that you enjoy what you do and that your family supports you. Kudos to you.

20. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

I'm new here and don't know you guys but nevertheless, good er....job:D.....on finding a new job so soon after telling the old boss to go shove it. I was a master motorcycle mechanic for over 23 years. About 14-15 years ago I had a chance to go work for no pay on a 3 day short movie shoot, to see if I liked it and to try out in different trades. This led to an offer to do a paid music video. The pay was $650 for 10hrs,:eek: double time after 10.:eek::eek:

But it was during the week.

I went to ask the general manager at the Honda dealership I worked at, if I could have two days off to do it....this during winter when we were all standing around with our fingers up our behinds anyway.....hardly any work and we were all commission only.

But he said no. :confused: So I said "Okay...well guess what Bill, FU I quit!!!"

Damn that felt so good. I made more money for a days work on that video shoot than I made in two weeks at the shop, and I did not stop getting calls for work. I never looked back. Just reading your story made me smile and remember that feeling of making the leap of faith out of a dead end gig. Maybe the missus is happy because she senses in you that you are so happy to be outta that job and are plain excited about the future.

Even if working as a fabricator and mechanic doesn't end up being what you want long term, it will serve as a great stepping stone for you and help keep the family fed, housed and happy. Way to go!

Congrats and all the best for the future.