Starting my first build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by darthjkf, May 12, 2013.

1. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

This is what I have.

image-1703320729.jpg

image-3006250346.jpg

image-2301824341.jpg

2. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

All DPMS so far............ ………................ ...

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

well your off to a good start anyway

4. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

This is my new lower

image-3139398237.jpg

It is forged and got it at a gun show.

5. combateffective4

combateffective4 New Member

Nice man I just built my second lower today I have 2 more and have a lower Parts kit on its way Tom

do you need help finding parts ?

6. isalil

isalil New Member

I need help, I was in the process of getting my parts to do a partial first build, I was going to build the lower and I have a order in for a complete RRA upper. Needless to say I think I am going to be waiting for the upper for a while. I ended up deciding i was going to wait for the RRA upper but build one in the mean time since my lower will be built by next week, I live in Crappyfornia (California) so I am waiting for my lower. I bought a stripped flat top lower from Aeropercision for $89, now I need the rest of the parts. I don't need the best, just good solid quality parts. I have read chrome-lined are better to have but how much of a difference there is I'm not sure. I am somewhat of a noob to the AR15 but I am hooked. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

7. combateffective4

okay so i highly recommend Palmetto state arms http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit.html

my PSA lower will be here tom ive used 2 of there build kits before i think they are quality for the price i orderred the pink kit lol i figure im gonna replace the stock and grip anyways

the previous kit i have bought have been good (PSA) ... i just recieved a RRA parts kit today for a more then good price
    http://www.runnerrunnerguns.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RRA-LPK
    the quality was ok not to bash RRA but the trigger was real stiff i think at least 10lbs andry 25$ the detents suck im gonna replace the selector and detents but its a inexpensive start ...

buffers range from 25$-60$ so the psa may be smarter (RRA doesnt have buffer assembly)
    you can all ways just try to sell the grip and stock if its not what you want
    if you cant sell it.. donation parts box and give it to your friend that is now interested in
    a build after they see yours

8. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Check PSA also for uppers. I have a complete one minus the BCG coming in tomorrow that cost about 550 and that's with a free float handguard. They have some that have vortex optics on them for cheaper

9. longunner

longunner New Member

PSA also has rifle build kits, it has everything you need, minus a stripped lower, which you have anyway. Also check out the deals deals deals thread, it'll probably help you out trying to find parts

10. isalil

isalil New Member

Thanks for all the help, can anyone recommend a quality 5.56 barrel on a budget? I don't want a barrel with A2 sights just bare 16" that I can put a Magpul or free float handguard and flip up sights on the gas block.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

If you can get one, I'd go BCM or DD

12. combateffective4

If you get a magpul hand guard I believe your are required to use a A2 sight since its a drop In ... I really like YHM barrels there about $200 or so... I just picked up a marks armory basic hbar barrel for 100$ I'll see what type of quality it is..I think I saw a regular m4 profile barrel 16 for 100$
    I received a omega machinery free float rail today it feels and looks of quality almost an identical design to my yhn rail and only 60$ what a steal! hopefully it holds up

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

^^^ this! Buy once cry once. Their prices are reasonable for barrels and proven best quality. I personally prefer BCM barrel as it's dimpled on the gas block screw position.
    Anyway they both make good barrels and gss blocks.