Starting my first AR-15 build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fa35jsf, May 8, 2013.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Just got my upper in yesterday from Palmetto State Armory. Also bought a lower build kit from. Already had the BCG.

I bought the lower over the phone yesterday also. The only problem is it is 5 hours south of me sitting in Texas. Gonna have to make a drive and pick it up at some point.

I have learned some interesting things now that I have started this build. Like for instance, I never knew why there was all those grooves on the side of the bolt carrier. Now I know that those are there as a function of the forward assist button. Also, I never knew what the funny little semi cone shaped thing around the barrel just in front of the upper receiver was. Now I know it helps hold the barrel shroud on.

Anyways, here are the specs and pictures.

1:7" twist
    Chrome Lined chamber and barrel
    A2 flash hider
    F-Marked front sight post
    16" M4 profile barrel
    A4 upper receiver with T-Marks

Attached Files:

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's pretty much what my last build was, PSA upper and LBK on my own stripped lower. My upper is a 16" midlength though. BCG is BCM. All went well as expected, yours should too.

3. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yeah. My little problem is I got a big baggy full of lower parts, springs, pins, other crap....... and no directions or diagrams. Hey, I like a challenge :)

If I can't figure out where it all goes then there is always youtube ;)

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Pretty hard to put the parts where they don't belong. Just don't over torque your barrel or castle nut.

5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Barrel and castle nut????? My upper is already assembled

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Then you're golden.

7. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

yeah I kind of figured putting parts in the wrong place wouldn't work or look right. I think I am going to approach this like a jigsaw puzzle.......... now where does that corner piece go?:D

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The trigger assembly is probably the only thing you'll need direction on.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

One mistake people make is swapping the bolt hold open spring and the disconnector spring. Do the trigger group first, it's no fun redoing the BHO. (No, I haven't done it but can imagine!)

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've never mixed the springs but I have redone the bho. As long as you don't drive the pin all the way out(just enough to clear the latch) it isn't bad. Still have to protect the lower from slips and glancing blows when you knock it back in.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Looks like you're well on your way to a solid little rifle.

YouTube will be an asset when you go about building the lower. It can be done in 20mins, but I've never done it that fast. Set aside an hour or two, check and double check, and take time to tackle each step properly the first time.

Also- If you want any special options (ie- end plate sling mount), it's always best to sort that out before anything wears Locktite.

12. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Tell me why you chose 1 in 7 twist instead of 8 or 9?

As I understand it a 1/7 over spins a 55gr round and it starts to break apart at mid distances.

It's better suited to a 62 - 77 gr round.

I have both a 1:7 AR and a 1:9

I just want to know why you chose 1:7 and if you were aware of what is said about bullet weight

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

hmmmmm.

I sent literally thousands of 55gr fmj out of my ARs I have yet to see one break apart on me at any distance.

I seen some keyholing on some rounds on 300+ yard paper targets.

Did this acutally happen to you?

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I went with the 1:7 because I wanted a true (or as true as possible) M4 upper. I know about the bullet weights and twist because I read the sticky in the AR section. I'm gonna try some 55 gr ammo but I will probably try to find some heavier stuff also. I will test it all and see what works best.

15. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Here's another question, based on what I have already posted, will I need any special tools to assemble the lower?

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Your castle nut isn't assembled yet. Castle nut is the ring on your buffer tube.

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

You need these tools.. take them as an investment. You never know.. maybe you will be infected with BRD like the rest of us.
    Some of these tools are pricey, you can get the cheaper ones. They work as good but as i said, take them as an investment. Buy once cry once.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363683/grace-usa-roll-pin-punch-set-7-piece-steel

This one is important to prevent detent pins flying around
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/920248/model-1-pivot-pin-detent-installation-tool-ar-15

This one helps alot when putting in roll pin on bolt catch, trigger guard pin and etc.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694883/schuster-ar-15-roll-pin-starter-punch-set-2-piece-steel

i used to own those cheap ones but they were not so good. Finally bought this one a month ago and i wished i buy it at the first place.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/747639/tapco-multi-tool-ar-15

I used to own a suction mobile vise as i don't have a working bench. So i bought this one and i'm amazed
    http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/vises/2-1-2-half-inch-table-swivel-vise-97160.html

I don't own this but they are good.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...per-and-lower-receiver-action-block-set-ar-15