Starting my AR build and had a few questions.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by okieboy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So I'm using some of my free time over the summer to build my first AR-15. I won't be saving money but I'm doing it for the experience and the fun of it. I can't afford too many super custom parts but I did order my upper and BCG last Saturday and was curious if anybody had experience with how long it usually takes to ship them? I ordered a great deal from PSA the day before Father's Day. Got a PTAC upper with a Bushnell red sot included. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403181718.315120.jpg
    I also ordered a 5.56 M16 BCG that came included with a PSA flip up sight. All came up to just over $400. I wanted to use some of those savings to get the raptor ambi charging handle.. But I wanted to hear any ideas or reviews that y'all might have.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

First, I'd be interested in how that particular upper/optic works out for you. I have been eyeballing that same setup myself. I need to finish up the rifle I'm building for my wife.
    As for PSA shipping, IIRC, they have something of a reputation for not being in a particularly big hurry when it comes to getting things out the door. The parts kit I ordered shipped in a more or less reasonable amount of time, though clearly they weren't rushing. IMHO, if one is in a big hurry, PSA probably isn't your preferred option.

Please note that on the bottom, they clearly state it ships in 10 to 15 BUSINESS days. I would plan for it to take every bit of that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree, PSA sale items are not likely to arrive before their estimate.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

They havent been to bad lately , I ordered a Daily deal rifle kit and it showed up in 8 or 9 days .

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Their lowers, accessories and ammo usually arrive within a week. Their uppers usually take a couple of weeks. I'm a PSA dealer and even I have to wait sometimes to get product in. My last order of uppers from them took almost 3 weeks to arrive.

6. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I'm not in any big rush I was just curious. I ordered some ammo from them previously and had it at my door a week later. I'm actually gonna pick up a lower and parts kit from a LGS later today so I'll probably post pics later. And there will definitely be a range day once it's all put together.

7. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Damn that's a steal on a complete upper. I ordered a BCG, and some other parts from PSA and it took for flippin ever. Probably three weeks. It was a good deal, that's the only way I will deal with slow shipping. Whatever you do, don't pay extra for express shipping. I made that mistake as well.

8. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I've ordered 3 "premium" uppers and one PTAC over the last 6 months, along with several BCG's and Lower Kits. All of the uppers took 3 weeks to arrive but were well worth the wait.

The premium are excellent quality at a low price. Even the PTAC line has improved over the last few months. They used to be hit or miss with quality, but apparently PSA got tired of the complaints.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

9. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Glad to hear it. I'm in the middle of building my lower. All I'm missing is the charging handle

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

PTAC is sorta C+ quality at the price of D- equipment in my opinion...and that's not a bad thing. It's decent gear at a great price. You did just fine. You could buy a BCM Gunfighter CH and have a really solid complete upper for $450. Nothing wrong with that.

Your rifle gets done for $600-800 total, and is significantly superior to similarly priced complete Wally World rifles...and you can spend what you saved on mags/ammo. Good strategy.

I have one PTAC upper. It would never be my first choice, but I really can't complain. It's run just fine thus far.

11. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Sounds like I made the right choice then. I'm partway done on my power. Gonna finish it up tomorrow.

12. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So I got a magpul MOE+ grip for my build. I just realized it's a sealed conpartment and I need to open it to screw te grip to the receiver...problem is the opening won't open. It's stuff and I can't get it to swing open or pop out. I'm about to take a screwdriver and break it off but before I get pissed I thought I'd ask if anybody has this problem and kf there are any tricks?

13. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Nvm! Got it off! Is there any problem with installing the grip before the internals?

14. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Finished my lower build. Anderson's MFG receiver with a magpul MOE+ grip and trigger guard, utg collapsible stock, and CMMG parts kit. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403278205.920838.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403278264.600717.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403278359.369765.jpg

15. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Well PSA shipped a package today but it's only 0.2 lbs so it's definitely not the whole order. That's irritating

16. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Sometimes PSA will do that. They'll split your shipment up into separate boxes. It gets annoying sometimes.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

you will have to loosen the grip screw to get the selector detent and spring installed. it will have to come about 80% of the way off to get enough clearence

18. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Yeah I realized that a few minutes later. I've got the lower all successfully built now. Just waiting on my upper to arrive

19. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So PSA emailed me back and said because they're in the process of moving, so they're splitting orders. I'll receive a notification when they ship the rest.

20. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I should receive the first package today but they haven't even shipped my upper yet. I'm starting to get frustrated. Saturday will mark three weeks since I ordered it.