Starting handguns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 500to22nut, Dec 25, 2012.

1. 500to22nut

500to22nut New Member

Hi everyone, I'm still new and I am wondering what recommendations there are for an affordable starter handgun?
    I was thinking something in 22lr because I can shoot 22 all day on my range and then I can move up. But right now I'm buying my first shotgun wich is a mossberg 500 field then a either a marlin 735 or 7 something and them a handgun

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ruger 22's of any type are great starter guns. they come in all flavors.

3. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Ruger and the Browning Buck Mark are some good choices.

4. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Yep,
    Cant go wrong with a Ruger.
    Have a few in the safe.
    Just bought the 22/45.

5. marc29th

marc29th New Member

+1 for the Ruger Mark III or 22/45

6. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I own the Ruger mark III, it has been a great little gun with thousands of rounds through it. It is what I used to teach my wife on or any first timers. The only complaint I have about it is its a pain to clean. Tends to jam a little more when its really cold out as well, but from what I've seen that's common with a lot of the .22s.

7. 500to22nut

500to22nut New Member

Post pictures of all the guns mentioned please

8. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Here is a picture of my Ruger Mark III

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of a Browning Buckmark. I'm going to be picking up a Buckmark in the next few weeks my self.

[​IMG]

9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I bought a Beretta U22 Neos with a 6" barrel for $250. It's a good solid gun, accurate, and about as reliable as a .22 auto is going to be.

Generally cheaper than the Ruger or Buckmark, but those are both good guns to. The Beretta styling is not for everyone.

The grip seems small but I found it comfortable even with my freakishly long mutant fingers.

Attached Files:

10. Colby

Colby New Member

Are you new to shooting?
    If so, a revolver may be a good first gun. I teaches a lot of stuff.

I agree with the good Ruger comments. They make excellent guns.

The 22 revolvers - like Smith and Wesson or Ruger cost a little more than the semi-auto's, but they are excellent guns that you will never regret having.

11. 500to22nut

500to22nut New Member

No I am not new to shooting and thanks y'all

12. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I'm picking one of these up with my tax money. My father in law has one and I love shooting it.

13. Blaze

Blaze New Member

My vote be a ruger LCR 22

image-1562096336.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  14. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

For a 22 handgun used or range plinking or hunting I prefer a Ruger Single Six, you can get the convertible model which allows you to swap out to the mag cylinder to shoot 22 mags if you like. If you want something to carry concealed then you would want something smaller like the previously mentioned lcr

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Affordable, I'd go with a heritage rough rider. Long accurate revolver and fun plinker.

Mark 3, 22/45 are not what I would consider affordable for a low cal gun worth little more than plinking fun, unless you want it for competition.

I'd say a Jimenez ja22 semi auto or the rough rider revolver. The Jimenez are fine in the lower caliber guns, their high cal are known for failures and low quality.

16. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

The Smith and Wesson 22A has a MSRP of $329 and a street/store price from $250-$290.

[​IMG]