Starting a 1st build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Flat4sti, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

So I batted around the idea of building vs Buying a complete. I watched a video that somebody posted from brownells's and was like Holly Hell that is much easier than i thought. Now, I am overwhelmed. I thought i had it down to the upper that i want BCM mid 16". then I read about barrel twists (BCM's 1:7). My question is will a 55 grain bullet be to small? I find that most ammo that I see are 55 gr. I am only going to be shooting this at a 100 yard range. I was originally thinking about the RRA upper which is at 1:9.

For the lower I am gonna go into the local gun stores and see what they have in the way of stripped lowers. I really want a Spikes, A. because I like that they are in Florida, B. I think the spider logo is SWEET.

Lower Kits Daniel Defense?

I am probably going to be starting this project some time in the coming weeks.

I am not looking for people to tell me what to get, but any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Oh, another question...is the stripped lower the only thing that i need shipped to an ffl, and the rest i can have shipped to my door?

2. frostyone

frostyone New Member

The lower is the only part that needs to go through an FFL. Everything else is shipped straight to your door. 1:7 barrel twist will work just fine for 55 grain especially if you're only shooting out to 100 yards.

The BCM 16" midlength upper is a great choice. Daniel defense lpk sounds great along with a spikes lower. Sounds like you have a pretty good start to putting a quality AR together.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A Spikes lower would be fine. The other parts you're describing sound good too. Frosty's advice is dead on.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

My name is mjkeat and I support this message.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well aren't you going to introduce Hellcat too? :p

6. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I have a BCM mid length lightweight and love it, definitely a solid choice . I shoot 55gr through mine quite often with no issues with accuracy

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Q meet HC, HC meet Q. :D

8. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

ok Spikes Lower, Daniel defense lower parts kit, Magpul ctr stock are on their way. BCM i am gonna get to tomorrow.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excellent choices, hope your upper is in stock, maybe it's best to check now! :eek:

10. frostyone

frostyone New Member

If its not in stock at BCM's website check out www.gandrtactical.com.

Just dont order the last upper from there, I'm ordering mine on Monday.