Firearms Talk banner

Starter AR15

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Squawk 
#1 ·
Looking to get an AR15 in the next month. What is a good starter AR under 1k? I want a dust cover and forward assist so the M&P Sport is out. Any recommendations?

I'd like to keep it around $800 before accessories and optics.

Thanks

#2 ·
Well you know we love PSA in this price range! Hard to beat really, take a look at all the recent builds. $800 will get you much more than a starter.

Of course you'll have to be patient, they're swamped and for good reason.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Well I decided against it and am going to be doing not one but two builds. Just went to the LGS and bought two S&W M&P 15 stripped lowers. $315 after tax for both. A little high but it would have cost me just as much to order online and pay the transfer fee. One is going to be self-defense/plinking carbine. The other is going to be a target rifle. Now I just need to figure out what all I need to complete both lowers. I am thinking of just buying complete uppers for both.

#7 ·
I recommend a BCM upper. They are extremely well made, and only cost about $430 shipped from Midwest Industries.

#8 ·
I recommend you shop for your builds at Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM), Palmetto State Armory (PSA), JoeBobOutfitters, and AIM Surplus. They're probably the 4 companies you're going to see mentioned on these boards more than any others with regard to builds. All of these sites offer excellent quality:value deals in my opinion. I frequent each on a regular basis, even when just window shopping with an empty wallet.

#9 · (Edited)
sweeper22 said:
I recommend you shop for your builds at Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM), Palmetto State Armory (PSA), JoeBobOutfitters, and AIM Surplus. They're probably the 4 companies you're going to see mentioned on these boards more than any others with regard to builds. All of these sites offer excellent quality:value deals in my opinion. I frequent each on a regular basis, even when just window shopping with an empty wallet.
I checked Midwest Industries for uppers and at the bottom of each product page, it's says in-store pickup only. I'm confused?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.