Starter AR15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Squawk, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Looking to get an AR15 in the next month. What is a good starter AR under 1k? I want a dust cover and forward assist so the M&P Sport is out. Any recommendations?

I'd like to keep it around $800 before accessories and optics.

Thanks

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well you know we love PSA in this price range! Hard to beat really, take a look at all the recent builds. $800 will get you much more than a starter.

Of course you'll have to be patient, they're swamped and for good reason.

3. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

The first one that comes to mind is the AR from Palmetto State Armory. To me it's a really good deal and I hear a lot of good feedback about PSA Ar15s. With the scope it's a little over 1000 and without the scope it's in the ball park of 800 I think.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Well I decided against it and am going to be doing not one but two builds. Just went to the LGS and bought two S&W M&P 15 stripped lowers. $315 after tax for both. A little high but it would have cost me just as much to order online and pay the transfer fee. One is going to be self-defense/plinking carbine. The other is going to be a target rifle. Now I just need to figure out what all I need to complete both lowers. I am thinking of just buying complete uppers for both.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I recommend a BCM upper. They are extremely well made, and only cost about $430 shipped from Midwest Industries.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I recommend you shop for your builds at Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM), Palmetto State Armory (PSA), JoeBobOutfitters, and AIM Surplus. They're probably the 4 companies you're going to see mentioned on these boards more than any others with regard to builds. All of these sites offer excellent quality:value deals in my opinion. I frequent each on a regular basis, even when just window shopping with an empty wallet.

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I checked Midwest Industries for uppers and at the bottom of each product page, it's says in-store pickup only. I'm confused?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012