Started my range

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by string1946, Mar 4, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

It's getting harder and harder to find a good place to shoot without having to drive 50 miles or more. Places we used to go shoot are either building up or leased by hunting clubs so I decided it was finally time to put in my own range beside my house. We got started today. It's still a little wet but supposed to rain more tomorrow so we wanted to get the dozer work done today then I can finish up with my tractor and box scrap. The dozer guy had to go get more fuel for the tractor and himself so I took a few pictures of the progress so far. Going to be 50' wide and around 130 yards to the back stop. Already have target frames and a bench built and ready to go. Just wanted to share.

Attached Files:

2. derpie

derpie New Member

3. paperplatetargets

paperplatetargets New Member

Lucky! nice set up. Congrats.

4. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks. It's getting there.

ForumRunner_20130304_181815.jpg

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

looking good. my advice is you should build a few closer backstops as well. perhaps a 15 yd for pistols of to one side and then one at maybe 50 or 75 yards . doubt you want to shoot .22 at 130 all the time.. lol

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Or you could leave the backstop at 130 yards and just place your target closer.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

true but you cant be positve of where your bullet will end up if the backstop is 115 past the target. makes it slightly non effective :p

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It would just be easier to build a portable shooting bench,and move it however far away from the target stands as you want.
    That's what I did!

9. 762

762 Member

how do you spell JEALOUS?

10. orangello

orangello New Member

NICE! Maybe a slightly elevated shooting platform and lowered target holders would put more rounds in the dirt/make the ground a backstop.

You just typed it, duh?

:p

11. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

I second that!!! Here where I live in Florida, you have to drive 100 miles to the closest open land.

12. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Looking good!

Have built several.We do as one poster suggested and put in a 25 and 50 yd berm as well.They're off to the side of main lane.They're nice because you're walking to 100 yd berm to post targets anyway....we hang tartgets on the others as well.

25 for handguns,50's for .22's and offhand C.F. rifle.

13. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

looking great String! You are a few steps ahead of me. I am putting up a range at my place as well as soon as my current project is complete. I think I will just have the 1 back stop and mark out the distances I want to shoot with permanent markers (thinking of using 4x4 posts cemented in the ground down one side of range). Carry on and get us some more pics when its done!

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is going to be a very nice range. I expect you can save enough in fuel looking for a place to shoot. I am surrounded by open range lands. We have targets out to 1,800 meters. That is too far for my Sharps 45-110.:)

15. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks everyone

My plan is to put target frames at 25, 50 & 100 yards and see how that works. The land slopes down slightly from the fireing line to the backstop so that should help. I did build the shooting bench with skids on the bottom so I can hook it to the 4 wheeler and pull it around if need be. My tractor has a front end loader so I can build smaller berms if I see its necessary. I plan on building at least one more bench so theres no reason I couldn't leave one at say 50 yards. I can't see needing a bench much at 25. Also planning to build a good size table behind the firing line to have a place to put things and have a polaris ranger to move things around the range.

16. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

Man do I envy you, been wanting to do that for years. Look forward to watching the progress and seeing the finished product. Keep us posted.

17. string1946

string1946 New Member

Its been a while since I updated this thread mainly because we have had record amounts of rain here in the southeast this spring and summer and I need at least 5 days of dry weather before I can work on the range without making a mess and I have had very few of those. I have got most of the roots out and its pretty smooth. I'm not worried about making it "baseball diamond" smooth. As long as I can cut the grass I'll be satified. I still have some rocks to pick up (wish the grandkids lived closer). I'm still debating whether to go over it with my tiller. I am going to move the teeth on my box scrape up out of the way and just go over is a few times with just the blade. I'm watching the weather and if I see some pretty good chances of rain I'll sow the grass seeds. I figure the range is about 20,000 sq. ft. + or -. I plan to use a seed called "The Rebels" because its supposed to more hardy than some of the other blends. 20 lbs. is supposed to cover 5000 sq. ft. so I'm going to buy 120 lbs. I'm making my front yard bigger so I'll be using some of the seeds there. There is no way I can water the seeds on the range so I just hope we have a wet fall. One picture looking down range and one looking up range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  18. string1946

string1946 New Member

Also I have decided to put the target frames just in front of the berm and have a bench at 25, 50 and 100 yards. This is my private range so there won't be any shooting at different ranges at the same time so you just go to the bench at the distance you want to shoot. Actually you can shoot up to 150 yards if you want. I'm going to build a 4' X 8' table behind the 100 yard bench giving me a place to put things. I also have a plastic storage thingy I'm not using so thats going to the range too so I can store targets, staple guns, gun rests etc so I won't have to carry them back and forth to the house.

19. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

You have done a very nice job so far.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I did the same thing when I started my range. I have been working on my range area for almost 20 years. I am creating "pockets" with steel targets for pistols and the 22 rifle. Once you get all the roots and limbs gone things will be a lot easier. I just use a plastic picnic table for a shooting bench. I have a wooden bench that is made like a schoolroom desk that is to heavy to move around. I need to put skids on it so I can drag it.