Start Kits

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hogrider, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Dillon

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Hornady

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Lee

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Lyman

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Of all the starter kits for reloading, who makes the best or is there a best? I'm a Dillon fan but I don't think they make a true starter kit. I have a friend that is think about reloading for when the SHTF. By best I mean most complete and without cheap accessories.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I started with a Dillon Square Deal back in the 80's. I also bought the dillon scales and case cleaner. I don't know why everybody thinks you can't start on a progressive. Seemed very easy to me. Loaded a few rounds one at a time and got the feel for things and I've never looked back. Since then I've added a 550 with a case feeder, a redding 2400 trimmer and an RCBS case mate prep center. and a digital scale from MTM.

3. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Being a Dillon 550B owner I thought about the Square Deal, but I didn't want to overlook any other brand. I figured there might be some super duper first time starter kits by now(had my 550 for years). I started with a Lee then graduated. I was think a starter kit with the ABC's of reloading would be a must have in a kit and didn't know if there was a kit that had that or not.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

^^ That's what I have and it's excellent. I have picked up a few more items along the way, but the kit was great. Get a powder trickler, micrometer and a case trimmer and you're set.

I use it for all my rifle reloading. I set the powder measure light by a few grains and trickle every powder charge to exact (within the tolerences of the scale) weight. I have not had to try very hard to get outstanding loads for my .222 and .308. I don't think I would get a progressive unless I was burning through a few hundred pistol rounds per week but that's just me.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a good kit. the dillon stuff is higher quality and better support. i started with a similar kit and movede on to the xl650. i stll use the single stage for 458winmag and 458 lott

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

8. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Thanks

Thanks everybody. I'll pass this information on to my friend. He lives 2,000 miles away so I can't help but with information and I didn't want to daint things with my preference of a Dillon. More choices the better.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Sorry I so disagree with this. Dillon stuff is not higher quality than RCBS. I ranke them as in the same catagory for quality. Better support? your smokin some good stuff. You call RCBS and tell them something is broke I bet your *** it gets fixed ASAP. Call Dillon and say something is broke I bet your *** it gets fixed ASAP.

If you want the best single stage press on the market then your looking at one of two presses A Redding ULTRAMAG and the Forster Co-Ax.

10. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

rcbs vs dillon, no way that dillon is better quality, my rcbs stuff that has been cranking i=out ammo of all calibers for the last 40 years is still going strong, i have powder measures older than that and id still put the stuff up against dillon any day of the week.

11. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Support

From what I've read, they all have pretty good support. So to me a person should get what's available at your local source. Red, green or blue doesn't really seem to matter. Correct?

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The only thing I will not own is Lee CRAP. Don't start about how good your lee junk is I don't care and I am not going down that road again. Never had a lee product that worked right. End of story.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I bought a Lee Challenger kit about 6 months ago. It has worked in a satisfactory manner so far. However, if I were to do it over, I would probably go with a turret setup from a more "premium" manufacturer. Why? because Lee equipment works, but some of it has a "Fisher Price" feel to it. The included scale is a pain to use. I used it once, then replaced it with a Redding on my next visit to Sportsman's Warehouse. The included powder measure is workable, but I don't see it as lasting 20 years, and it "feels" cheap. I am looking at a RCBS Uniflow or something like it, soon. The press is ok, but I would only recommend it for someone who doesn't shoot much. I won't be needing a progressive setup any time soon, but I find a single stage too slow. A quality Turret setup bridges the gap between the two extremes, IMHO. I will be upgrading in the not to distant future.
    Buy good stuff the first time and you won't be "upgrading" as much. YMMV.

14. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Added poll. Can't tell which kit/machine is the favorite. Maybe this will help me. I know I should have done this up front but I just realized how to do it.
    Still not sure I set it up correct.

15. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Shoot......I forgot RCBS. And I don't see a way to edit the poll to correct it. Sorry bout that folks. This won't do much good for me. Anyone know how to add an item?

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

In addition to the RCBS omission, Redding is another quality brand.
    I'm leaning toward Hornady/RCBS at this time. Mostly because the local store stocks Hornady/RCBS stuff
    To be fair, Lee presses and dies are just fine, if you have realistic expectations for cost vs. quality. My Challenger is ok for what I do, I just want more production. I won't be getting rid of it, I may save it for eventual rifle use. If you get the Classic Cast and I doubt you will have any complaints as to durability. It's the ancillary equipment that let's the Lee kits down.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Of the ones listed I choose the Hornady over all others for starter kit.

To me the dillon is not a starter kit. Owning a dillon requires a large initial investment that is prohibitive to many new reloaders.

Plus there is a lot of stuff going on with one pull of the handle of the dillon machines. Granted you can go slow and do one at a time on the 550.

18. noylj

noylj Member

If the worry is when the SHTF, the last thing you will need is a progressive press. You will want simplicity and mechanical (not electrical) systems.
    I would consider the Lee Breech-Lock Challenger or the Lee Classic Turret. Being for the worst of times, I would probably get the Challenger as there are plastic parts on the turret that are designed to break if over stressed.
    There is nothing wrong with the Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder measure, other than it isn't designed for large rifle loading.
    You would want a good balance beam (electricity might be hard to come by) and any good powder measure.
    What you will most want is powder, cases, bullets, and PRIMERS. Lots of primers.
    I prefer the Hornady L-N-L single and progressive presses, but the single-stage is too expensive compared to the Lee. The progressive is simple, sturdy, doesn't need a case feeder, and is simple and inexpensive to change calibers. The Dillons need a case feeder and are more complicated than the Hornady.

19. nate

nate New Member

I just got an RCBS RC Supreme master kit(havn't used it yet trying to decide on powder). Was gona get the Lee Challenger kit but after picking one up and seeing it wouldnt even make a decent paperweight I decided to save my money and get the RCBS. The RCBS may cost 3x as much but the press alone weighs 10x as much as the whole Lee kit. That and the fact the old timer that built my rifle said hes been using the same RCBS press since the late 60's sold me. I do know some people with Dillons and have never heard anything bad about them eather.

20. hogrider

hogrider New Member

So apparently the Dillon has it with the exception of RCBS. I don't think that would change the results that much.