star wars fans unite

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by primer1, Jul 11, 2012.

1. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, dorks, admit the truth that the six movies is the greatest fictional story ever. It shows how good triumphs over evil, no matter how powerful evil appears. Action, adventure, romance, etc.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not to mention freely swiping from the classics that are no longer in copyright- or did you miss the Oedipus Rex connection there? :p

3. primer1

Yes, there are too many similarities with the oepidus tale too ignore. Can you go to any stores and buy some oepidus action figures, board and video games, shirts, etc? With star wars there is an entire section of devoted shelves.

And yes, it might be another example of a capitalist economy gone wild. These movies have had a cult following for 35 years, is the disneyworld section still open?

The special effects were mesmerizing for its day, and it was the highest grossing movie fors

4. primer1

Sorry wrong dum phone button...
    It was the highest grossing film for years running. The whole series is highest grossing behind harry potter (I can't see the appeal at all), and James bond (yes, very appealing.)

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Looks like we've got ourselves some closet fans on here...
    I know we've more Star Wars fans than this.

Prepare for EPIC-NESS. :p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfjiysK7G0[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Checking in...you cant expect too much of a reply at 4am fellas...

7. bkt

bkt New Member

Lucas' original plan of a trilogy of trilogies would have made for a more complete story with better character depth, but yeah, they rank high for me.

The story itself isn't particularly deep or inspiring; it's another good guy v. bad guy story and what makes it interesting are the venues in which it takes place and the nifty gadgets and ships.

Generally, the acting was mediocre at best. Two scenes which actually brought out the talent of some actors were the lightsaber fight between Obi-wan (Ewan McGregor) and Darth Maul (Ray Park), and when Amidala emotionally appeals to Anakin on Mustafar. A possible third scene...there was a hint of good acting from both Obi-wan and Anakin (Hayden Christensen) after their fight and Anakin's legs and arm had been neeped off and he was frying next to the lava. Otherwise, it's the special effects that carry the movies.

Hands down, Empire Strikes back was the best of the lot. Props to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher in that movie.

Jar-jar should have been made into a bisque immediately after his character was introduced. Ewoks? Really? Oy. Many of the other alien characters stunk on ice, too.

As a tribute of appreciation to SW, I did buy an Arctic S3 blue laser from Wicked Lasers
    [​IMG]

...and I quickly learned something. To produce a beam of light powerful enough to do what lightsabers do would result in instant blindness just by powering the thing on.

This laser is stoopid-bright - you MUST wear eye protection when using it - and while it will cut and burn things, it's only 1 watt...not quite up to lightsaber standards. :)

8. c3shooter

"has a cult following...." HAH! No joke! Stars Wars 1 was the first movie our 2 youngest ever saw in a theatre. 1977

Our baby girl (age 1 at the time) became instantly addicted to popcorn, and I swear her eyes never left the screen for the entire movie. DID NOT BLINK.

Youngest son- age 4, had a near religious experience. He is still collecting light sabers and action figures. Think I still have one of his X-wing fighters in the basement.

Seriously, am not knocking the series. They did a great job of creating a product that appealed to people. Still does. Quality of acting and plot? Brother, go back and watch Clint Eastwood in the "Fistful of Dollars" series- and try not to cringe- yet those are still favorites. Some of the best flicks are the ones that are just plain fun and escapism.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I prefer Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' films, and I really, really liked the first three SW movies. Still do.

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

Then Lucas goes and puts copyrights so tight they are nearly punishable by death on EVERYTHING. Funny how that works.

Yep, The Hobbit and Lord of the rings were and still are my favorite books...so glad Jackson did a good job on the movies.

Star wars 4, 5, and 6 (the original 3 movies) were GREAT for their day, i was enthralled with them, i was just a kid at the time.

11. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

In the 90's the original SW trilogy re-played in theaters (I'm only 21 so I was about 4-6) and my dad took me to see them. I was hooked. Didn't think anything else would ever compare. Until I saw LOTR. Then discovered the old "Man With No Name" trilogy with Clint Eastwood.

My point? In MOST cases, sequels and trilogies are just awful. But when you get a good one, it's a great one.

12. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

George Lucas can eat a dick for the garbage that was the prequels. That said the original (non special edition) trilogy are some of the most amazing films ever made. I'm glad I have my bootleg copies of the original trilogy on dvd (thx edition laser disc rips).

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao. He said Lucas can eat a d!ck. Lmfao

14. orangello

orangello New Member

15. primer1

Episode 5 was my favorite, too.

Ewoks? That was a marketing ploy to appeal to the younger crowd and females, which worked. The original script called for a wookie planet. How cool would the shield generator battle have been with wookies instead of teddy bears?

Jar jar was annoying at best, but again, appeal to the younglings had to be the idea there. Without Han Solo there wasn't much comic relief.

16. primer1

--Ahem--

Episode 7 is expected to be the biggest moneymaker ever. They have been saying this two months before the release date, and tickets are already selling out.

17. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

The dark side has taken over the Star Wars franchise and Hollyweird in general. I was a huge fan of the first 3 but I don't think I can ever forgive George for butchering the lest three. So I'm not holding out much hope for the new one especially since Disney owns the franchise now. :( I can only guess what mind numbing PC junk is going to be in it. I'm guessing Hana Montana with a light saber?

All though I did hear an interesting plot twist that some are speculating about. They seem to believe that the person behind the mask of the new villain is Jar Jar Binks. :yoda:

18. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

do you think in 10 or 15 years George Lucas will re-release episodes 1-3 & make them worse than they already are by adding extra footage?

I was psyched when they re-released & remastered the originals in the 90's....until I saw them. the cgi stands out so poorly against the 70's & early 80's era film the movies were shot on. and there's pretty much no reason for any of it, it adds nothing to the movies & actually distracts you from the story. the only bright spot was the added han solo/jabba the hut footage in the first one, but even that was done poorly considering jabba looked nothing like he did in "Jedi."

i'm excited about episode 7 & i plan on seeing it in the theater. I just hope it doesn't disappoint.

19. primer1

I don't think the first three sucked, but there was lots of room for improvement. Dry, I guess you could say.

The new parts of episodes 4-6 could have been thrown down the hole with Darth sidious.

Plot twist? An old character is going to die, leaving the audience dumbfounded and let down. ;)

20. c3shooter

Plot twists- this IS HollyWeird-

There will be activists demonstrating for common sense Light Saber laws, and calling for closing the Death Star loophole.

PETA will be raising hell about the bantas that were mistreated during the filming.

Jar Jar Binks will be carrying a sign that says "Gungan Lives Matter".

The GLBT folks will be outing Hans Solo and Chewbacca......

:D