Standard H Buffer Vs Spikes T2 Buffer

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigBizz87, Sep 1, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

first off have no experience with either of these buffers!!! is there really a benefit to the T2 buffer over the standard heavy buffer??? any info would be greatly appreciated looking to do a few minor internal upgrades to my BR

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's about 1/2 oz heavier than the H buffer and 1/2 oz lighter than an H2. I'd rather go with the H or H2 which has sliding weights not tungsten powder.

3. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

so should i go H or H2 then if im gonna spend the money only wanna do it once and not sure if the H2 will be to heavy for softer loads such as 50gr .223 both are in-stock on PSA's website

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If your gun is functioning well why change the buffer? Most people want to improve the trigger.

5. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

It has already been improved along with most of the Major Parts inside the rifle such as BCG, LPK.

But the reason for upgrading the buffer is that i believe my rifle to be over gassed, im just trying to tame it a little bit, I was directed toward a heavy buffer to slow down the BCG and its not an expensive upgrade so might as well get it done

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's not that easy. Describe your rifle. Barrel length, gas length, action spring, current buffer, ammo you plan to use, etc.

7. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

The rifle is a cheapo DPMS Oracle with a 16in barrel 1/9, carbine length gas, standard carbine buffer from DPMS, Stock Buffer Spring DPMS, PSA Full auto BCG, ALG Combat Trigger, and for ammo anything from 50gr to 62gr mostly brass but will shoot steel Tula cause its decent range ammo but really just what can be found

8. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Id get an H buffer, and if you want to add a little more resistance you can buy a new spring from there. T2 might be a little heavy for 50gr 223.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Normally the H2 functions well with 16" and carbine gas. Definitely hang on to the standard buffer which may be needed for weaker Tula. If you have to drop to an H you can swap a tungsten weight for a steel one in the H2 and standard and end up with two H buffers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  10. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Thanks u folks are always helpful seems like the H2 is the way to go for me.

11. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was taught in armorer's school, the H buffer is good for most general purpose carbines. The H-2 is is for eroded gas ports on older, high milage carbines and full autos. The H-3 is for supressed guns.

I run an H on my Colt Govt carbine and a 9mm buffer on my High Standard (whether in 9mm trim or 5.56) it runs fine in either caliber with that really heavy buffer.

13. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Allot of good advice above and I understand the theory for the reciprocating weights but I prefer the smoother feel of the
    ST-T2 buffer.

I currently have the ST-T2 buffer and spikes spring in the following rifles and have had no issues shooting Tula, Rem 55gr .223, or Fed/LC 63gr 5.56.

BCM 16" Midlength with BCM F/A BCG (JP Spring)
    BCM 14.5" Carbine length with PSA F/A BCG
    Ranier Arms Ultramatch 10.5" Carbine length with BCM F/A BCG

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  14. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Got a bcm H buffer works great. Exactly what I was lookin for

15. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I changed the Buffer in my Oracle from Standard to Heavy(DPMS) and it helped(somewhat) to calm down the slamming of the(Stock) BCG. I weighed both Buffers, and the Stock Buffer was 3.0(ounce) while the Heavy Buffer was 3.8, so 8 Grams heavier. Also the Buffer I got had "Solid weights" and not Powder, so if I wanted to change to H2, I can disassemble and add more Gram Weight to it with ease.

I also have a PSA FA-BCG that I haven't tried yet. Waiting for Ammo Supply to calm down more, and be easier to find before I start gobbling up what little I can find on the Shelves, but it's getting better.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I have STT2 in all my personal AR15s. No problems of shooting cheap ammo.
    The Spider logo is a big plus for me. :) Hey, it's just me :)