Staking gas key Oly arms??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Mossyoakman3006, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

So my oly K16 didnt come with the gas key staked just wonder since im kinda new to the AR world would it be worth staking the gas key or leaving it unstaked?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

3. Mossyoakman3006

So would it be worth me buying the tools and doing it myself or taking it to a gunsmith and letting him do

4. Mossyoakman3006

Looks like it gonna cost me about $120 to do the job properly dont know if I feel confident enough to do the job with a punch or chisel so probably get a MOACKS and guess im gonna need a way to check the torque like one of those fat wrenches, hate to spend the money on somethin im probably only gonna use once or twice thanks for the advice

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

6. russ

russ New Member

Post a picture of what you've got. Staking a gas key shouldn't be something you need a 'smith for. Hell, send it to me with return postage and I'll do it for you.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

8. Mossyoakman3006

Guess I lied my stock key is staked but just barely, might get that BCM just so I dont have to worry about it looks like that thing would out live the rifle thanks for the help

9. russ

russ New Member

Seriously, you cover the ride here and back, I'll do it for you. I'm an engineer at an aerospace manufacturing company, quality control is my area of expertise. I have all the necessary tools at my disposal. Heck, I can even MPI (magnetic particle inspection) test it for you.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very generous offer Russ!

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

How are you w/ pinning and welding of muzzle devises?

12. russ

russ New Member

I have not done one yet, however, I do have a 14.5 upper build in my very near future. It will require permanent attachment once I'm done. I'm leaning towards a roll pin and some wicked strong epoxy we use at work so there is no heat involved. I'm not sure if that is compliant with NFA rules, but I'll make sure before I do it.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You'd be an idiot not to take Russ up on this most generous offer.

*respect* Russ!

JD

14. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

You got that right.

15. russ

russ New Member

Hey man, did you change your mind? I have been looking for your BCG to show up since I PM'ed my address to you almost two weeks ago. It's no big deal, but if you sent it and it hasn't shown up, we need to kick some UPS butt to find it.

16. Mossyoakman3006

Sorry, just been busy I'll give you a heads up when I get a chance to send it
    Thanks again

17. russ

russ New Member

No worries. I was just concerned that UPS might be playing hide-n-seek with it.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Can we see pictures of how the Oly carrier key is staked right now? Mossy, very smart of you to get it properly staked, they do loosen up if not staked.

And again, very generous offer Russ!

19. russ

russ New Member

I'll for sure do a before and after picture.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member