Firearms Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked high and low for a SS port cover and coming up empty handed. I can find just about anything else in SS but no covers. The Cerakote version of it doesn't cut it.
Check this out: - AR-15 Accent Parts Kit - Stainless - AR15Discounts Everything but!
I'm hoping someone here might know of a source.
Maybe there's a reason (other than no interest) that they can't be found.
Thank you.

· Supporting Member
15,480 Posts

· Supporting Member
15,480 Posts
Harvey,
I think Notrighty might be on to something there. Their rifles have bright color Dust Covers on them in the pictures and obviously they do several items in stainless steel. Keep your fingers crossed.

That is what is so discouraging out of a lot of these companies! Advertise product and then seemingly always out of stock! I will keep checking around in my spare time. I have a Chrome Pated one on my retirement rifle I got from the manufacturer I had been working for while still at the police department. I call it my Pimp Gun because it has a Chrome Dust Cover, Chrome Trigger and Chrome Forward Assist on it.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Notrighty, but it's Cerakoted as well. What the hell, I'll try it but it irks me to pay $9.15 shipping for something so small and light. I wouldn't mind (as much) if it was actually SS.
Their SS upper kit is out of stock as well. I put my name in to be notified.
Hopefully 03, it won't look too much like a pimp gun when finished.:oops:

· Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Sorry Harvey, I had looked into some of their parts before , but didn’t realize the dust cover was coated aluminum. You would think someone would make the part in SS , but I guess not.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Harvey, I had looked into some of their parts before , but didn’t realize the dust cover was coated aluminum. You would think someone would make the part in SS , but I guess not.
It makes you wonder why? You can get everything else in SS but not that. Maybe there’s some weird metallurgical reason for it.

· Supporting Member
15,480 Posts
Harvey

I cannot see any metallurgical issues by it being stainless itself. However, if they used a Stainless-Steel latch and spring I do wonder about the wear factor of the stainless latch locking up in the Upper's Aluminum Receiver "notch" at the top of the Receiver's Ejection Port opening? But IMO I think it is mostly the price of the material and there could be more operations on the stainless door as far as machining where they can simply stamp out the normal doors and braze the Door Latch housing on it for the Spring and Latch and then put the final finish on them. To do that with stainless it would probably discolor the door by attempting to braze the Latch Housing on the Stainless Door? I do not really know but just some thoughts of maybe why is seems no one is making them,
But I will continue to keep a eye out for one. :)

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could very well be 'all of the above'. I'll have to rethink the door color for something completely different so it doesn't look like 'oh well, he couldn't match the SS parts, so he just threw a black one on'.
Thanks for your help, guys.

· Supporting Member
15,480 Posts
Harvey
They have some pretty cool black ones with laser designs on them. A while back I bought two of these. And two Stag Arms BCG. With the Flag.
Product Black Rectangle Sleeve Font

Office supplies Office equipment Trigger Gun accessory Font

Reactions: primer1

· Supporting Member
15,480 Posts
Sorry Harvey, they were complete BCGs from Stag Arms! My spell check added the "e" to Stag.
I bought them because I wanted one of them with the Flag BC for my 6.5 Grendel. Since the Head Space on the AR-15/16 Rifles is on the "Bolt Only".
I simply put my present Bolt that is in my 6.5 Grendel and put it into the one new Bolt Carrier with the Flag on it.
So now I have an extra. My old regular Bolt Carrier and the Bolt out of the Flag Bolt Carier. SO, if I ever need to use them together? I will simply check the Head Space in the chamber on the new Upper Assembly I use, to assure that Bolt is OK with the chamber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts