stainless chrome

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by johnfs, Jul 26, 2012.

1. johnfs

johnfs New Member

recently picked up bushmaster upper but it is stainless chrome barrel any ideas
    {or has anyone sanded stainless chrome to coat} does it work.

thank for any input

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You mean its chrome lined stainless barrel? Confused

3. johnfs

johnfs New Member

no its chrome outside barrel

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Chrome is hard slippery stuff. What are you looking to do? Duracoat?

5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I can't find anything on Bushmasters web site. Nor could I find anything with google or bing about a chrome platted stainless barrel. Did someone have a polished SS barrel and just think it is chromed. If done right polished Stainless is just as bright and shinny as chrome.

6. johnfs

johnfs New Member

chrome stainless

i guess it could be polished i am checking with dura coat they are thinking light sanding to rough it up thanks for all the input

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you could either polish it and make it shine, or bead blast it and use some type of coating like DuraCoat. if it's chrome, i doubt that you will be able to sand it.

please post some pictures of it.

8. johnfs

johnfs New Member

picked up small hand held bead blaster yesterday and a bottle of white aluminum oxide abrasive 220 grit will blast it then try metal primer and paint any thoughts just dont like the shinny

9. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I would recommend an epoxy primer.

10. johnfs

johnfs New Member

da just looked at bushmaster web site outside is polished not chrome sorry for bad info

11. tank116

tank116 New Member

Hey, just so you know I can chrome that stainless for you. I am in the chrome plating industry !

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I would take it some where and have it bead blasted , this will leave a real nice flat looking finish that wont peel or chip later

13. tank116

tank116 New Member

I have one at the shop, called a satin blast finish but not easy to get a good take around the edges, at least we have not had much luck doing glock uppers, but with some tweaking we could hammer it out.

14. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

bead blasting will produce a nice looking satin finish.
    you can get coarse scotchbrite and WD-40 to produce a nice brushed finish.
    wet the barrel and scotchbrite with the WD 40 and scrub the barrel from one end to the other in one continious stroke back and forth in straight complete strokes from end to end continue to do this for several minutes when you start to see the wd 40 turning dark gray then you know the process is working.after several minutes of scrubbing the entire barrel from muzzle to breech wipe off the wd40 and repeat the process a few more times.
    the key is straight continiousstrokes from end to end.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012