Staggering JHP and FMJ

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by nate913, May 5, 2013.

1. nate913

nate913 New Member

Ok, so what is the point of staggering ammo. JHP and FMJ. What are the Benefits and are there any drawbacks is well. Thanks in advance!!

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

There are no benefits. In my younger day, before I wised up, I would do this. The thought was to have the 'penetration' of the fmc for hard targets. When I started testing bullets I found the JHP would 'plug' if they hit building material or even heavy clothing and penetrate the same as fmj, so what the point. Not to mention the hit with the fmj on human target left A LOT to be desired!;)

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

FMJ positively functions. JHP dumps energy and doesn't penetrate as much. Staggering ammo is odd in any gun, but in a handgun!?

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

My understating:

FMJ penetrate fully and in most defensive calibers will leave two holes to bleed from, which attains death quicker and can still result in it with a shot not placed on target with an organ, head, or spine.

Many believe hollowpoints to be unproven as of yet, those would be old fuddy duddies who still talk on flip phones and think the world is flat.

Benefits to staggering is having best of both worlds, but that's only if you get enough rounds off and landed to fulfill the possibility.

Quite frankly the right round from the right manufacturer in the right caliber will accomplish all you'll need in defense. This includes 9mm and up, so to each their own from there.

5. nate913

nate913 New Member

Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks guys for the info!!

6. 4tsmith

4tsmith New Member

Best way to test your guns to see which hollow points do/don't feed well without burning bucket loads of high priced self defense loads.

Not a lot different than putting snap caps in the mix to practice malfunction drills.(IMPO)

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

The only round that offers significant difference in advantage to using fmj over hp ammo is in 380acp where there arent any good hp rounds capable of reliably getting to the innards of a goblin. My 380 is loaded with fmj. Bigger calibers i use hp ammo.

While fmj can get the job done why gimp yourself??

If your defensive handgun doesnt function with hp ammo you might consider trading for one that does.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This was a fairly accepted practice 30-40 years ago. Hollow point ammo was unreliable and may not penetrate deeply. Modern ammo is FAR better at "controlled expansion" so a balance of expansion and penetration is now the norm.

Most FMJ ammo is TERRIBLE for defensive use. It not only punches holes, but punches holes that "self seal" and do not bleed much at all.

9. GLKmiester

GLKmiester New Member

What about in a "woods gun" that may be used to defend against 2 and 4 legged animals?

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

you want hardcast lead bullets in a handgun for anti-aggressive animal use. NEVER take hollowpoints to use on a critter like a bear. if your facing down those extremely dangerous and vile pitbulls or rottweilers hollowpoints work well enough

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Stagger in a handgun? The only time I staggered ammo was 1 tracer to 2 rounds 5.56 ball in combat to walk my rounds on target. If you're that convinced you're going to meet multiple targets requiring variable penetration, carry two guns.

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I only carried them staggered in my CC .380 acp. My 9mm and .357 get JHP only.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That is the time you add snake shot in the mix for the no-legged critters.

14. danolator

danolator New Member

I agree with the concept of staggering .380 ammo. If the bad guy is wearing a heavy winter garment, JHP may not get enough penetration. Following the double tap with a FMJ round seems like a good idea. I carry the LC9 and only use Hydra Shock ammo in that gun. Have seen that ammo go through a mattress with a 3/8 sheet of plywood behind it at a distance of 15 feet. Most SD fights are inside of 20 feet. That's plenty of fire power.

15. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

How many "woods animals of the 4 legged type" are larger than a man? If a jacketed hollow point is adequate SD ammo against a person, wouldn't it likewise be sufficient for things you find in the woods? That being said, I can think of only a couple aggressive woods dwellers that are larger than a person....and in that same thought, I hope I've got something far better than a .45ACP by which to defend myself. In you intend on visiting an area where large 4 legged animals may wish you harm, then take along the appropriate rifle or slug gun.